User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User trevstan
(newbie) Tue 05-Mar-13 20:56:09
Print Post

Estimated speeds

[link to this post]

Hi i am going to put my order in with Plusnet tonight left my order a few days to be safe with the 7 day rule (o2).

What i was wondering is what speeds will i get i checked the speed on plusnet and said 67 down 20 up wholesale checker says 66.9 down 20 up.

But then i put my postcode in for this and says

http://i46.tinypic.com/25gdweu.png

Does this mean my speed will only increase by x 2.92? Or am i over looking into it?

As if that's true it's not really a big increase... Is they any other checks i can do to get a true speed estimate?

Cheers smile

Edited by trevstan (Tue 05-Mar-13 21:17:20)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 05-Mar-13 21:12:12
Print Post

Re: Estimated speeds

[re: trevstan] [link to this post]

That's just a blanket estimate for your postcode, or even area, not specifically for you.

The Wholesale checker is usually a good start and is often an underestimate. You just won't know until you suck-it-&-see.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User Bright
(member) Wed 06-Mar-13 08:49:21
Print Post

But just so you don't get your hopes too high, it sometimes turns out to be an over-estimate! wink

The only way to get a definitive answer about what speed your line will support on FTTC is to connect it up and measure it. The BTW availability checker is the best available estimate, but sometimes wrong (to re-iterate what XRaySpeX has already said!).

Robert

PSS/BT Gold > Compuserve > Dircon > Zen > Be Unlimited > PlusNet Unlimited Fibre

Edited by Bright (Wed 06-Mar-13 08:50:52)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User trevstan
(newbie) Fri 08-Mar-13 00:54:58
Print Post

[re: Bright] [link to this post]

Well i have finally found my fibre cabinet and it is approx 400ft away (120 metres) just at the end of my street, i must go round with my eyes shut as i never even knew where the old cab was that is right next to it haha .

Having read up about speeds all being well i could well sync at 80/20 so I'll 100% take the plunge and touch wood I'll get those speeds or around them.

Now it's whether to save money and go with Plusnet and hope that the p2p speeds are fine as they say they are or go with BT Infinity as they have no traffic management in place at all.

Edited by trevstan (Fri 08-Mar-13 01:44:33)

Standard User animal007
(member) Fri 08-Mar-13 10:59:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by trevstan:
Well i have finally found my fibre cabinet and it is approx 400ft away (120 metres) just at the end of my street, i must go round with my eyes shut as i never even knew where the old cab was that is right next to it haha .

Having read up about speeds all being well i could well sync at 80/20 so I'll 100% take the plunge and touch wood I'll get those speeds or around them.

Now it's whether to save money and go with Plusnet and hope that the p2p speeds are fine as they say they are or go with BT Infinity as they have no traffic management in place at all.

Just joined Plusnet myself and i can say that p2p speeds are fine anytime of the day or night for me so definitly unlimited.
Standard User trevstan
(newbie) Sat 09-Mar-13 22:52:21
Print Post

[re: animal007] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by animal007:
Just joined Plusnet myself and i can say that p2p speeds are fine anytime of the day or night for me so definitly unlimited.

Cheers for that ^ took the gamble it's alot cheaper with Quidco £38 + 3 months half price thrown in (deal ends Sunday midnight) all being well the move goes well appointment booked in for the 18th March then phone changes 2-3 weeks after according to email.

Estimated 67/20 but cabinet is about 120 metres which is a good sign and hopefully i get more if not max smile!

Edited by trevstan (Sat 09-Mar-13 22:53:13)

Standard User Damoxuk
(learned) Sat 09-Mar-13 23:54:27
Print Post

Good Luck i'm thinking of going with plusnet also. My estimate is 72mb down 20mb up.

However if I achieve even half that it would be vastly better than the 3.5mbps down/ 1mbps up I get on ADSL2 laugh
Standard User animal007
(member) Sun 10-Mar-13 12:14:20
Print Post

[re: Damoxuk] [link to this post]

Just remeber that although you say your very close to the cabinet this does not mean your line is that close.

I'm roughly 585 meters away from my green box but by the looks of it my phone cable takes a long route round to get to the green box.
Standard User eckiedoo
(member) Sun 10-Mar-13 13:08:47
Print Post

"My" cabinet is directly across the road, about 25 to 30 metres, with the main trunk to the Exchange passing the side of my house in an obvious underground jointing chamber, about 3 metres away. (Originally one panel long in 1967, extended to three about 1986, by the cast-in YEAR on the lids.)

BUT the wire length from that cabinet to my house is at least 125 metres, due to coming/going via a small, junction box beside a near-neighbours house about 50 metres away.

(It is unlikely to be longer, fortunately, when compared with the likely routing to the exchange, which also agrees reasonably with the length given on the BE site.)

The small junction box is even more difficult to spot as it is basically a casting about 30 cms high by 3 cms by 3 cms, at ground level.

I would not have known about it if a PO/BT technician had not pointed it out to me.

Redoing the joints in that small box, helped clear some line noises many years back. He had first tried doing this in the conventional cabinet across the road, to no effect.

The estate was one of the first to be fully wired for phones, when built in 1967, all such cabling is underground basically.

No signs of FTTC yet, unfortunately. Supposed to be later this year.
  Print Thread

Jump to