User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User melb
(newbie) Wed 06-Mar-13 08:07:52
Print Post

Imaginary Line Speeds

[link to this post]

We are a new customer of PlusNet. We ordered a new phone line and the Fibre BB. The new line installation is due this coming Friday by OpenReach. So, it was a bit surprising when PlusNet were proud to inform us today that we are getting 78Mbps on our imaginary service!

Dear XXXXXXXX,

Account username: YYYYYYYYY

When you signed up for your broadband account, we performed a check on your telephone line to give you an estimated speed your line might achieve.

Now that your service has now been active for 14 days, we thought we'd let you know the speed as it stands today, by way of comparison.

Estimated line speed: 17Mbps
Current line speed: 78Mbps
You can keep a track of your line speed through our website:

It makes you think what b.....t they'd give out if you had real line speed problems. Hey Ho

Mel
Standard User Bright
(member) Wed 06-Mar-13 08:53:49
Print Post

Re: Imaginary Line Speeds

[re: melb] [link to this post]

Congratulations, that's an excellent performance. Now you just have to hope the real line can match the speeds of the virtual one smile

Robert

PSS/BT Gold > Compuserve > Dircon > Zen > Be Unlimited > PlusNet Unlimited Fibre
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Wed 06-Mar-13 09:02:47
Print Post

The current line speed is the Plusnet copy of the BT IP Profile. They use it when prioritising the traffic down your line. Before they receive the first delta report from BT after the line has gone live they set it to the maximum possible which for FTTC is 78mbps.

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User melb
(newbie) Wed 06-Mar-13 13:04:20
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

I assumed that's what was happening - thanks for the confirmation. A simple "Has this customer gone live yet?" test in their admin computer's programs would have stopped silly emails being sent out also! I'll now sit back and wait for my first £0 bill which must be paid immediately!
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Wed 06-Mar-13 14:04:08
Print Post

Make sure you pay it or they'll keep pestering you and might cut you off for non-payment! laugh

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001
Standard User melb
(newbie) Fri 08-Mar-13 14:07:53
Print Post

Re: Imaginary Line Speeds - an update

Installation Friday has now arrived.

And, I now have a new phone, but NO FIBRE BB. PlusNet's super intelligent computer automatically cancelled my order with OpenReach YESTERDAY. The sales prevention module in their app kicked in and kicked out my order - the humans at OpenReach were taking too long to install my line. So, TODAY the OpenReach engineer couldn't complete the job because PlusNet had cancelled it YESTERDAY. Doh.

So, we still have imaginary line speeds of 78Mbps - probably for another two weeks, that's while the PlusNet computer attempts to makes more work for the PlusNet support team.

Will I ever see any real speeds from this?

In the meantime, Virgin have doubled the line speed of my cable connection to 20Mbs - Why oh why bother with PlusNet?

Mel
ISP Representative orbrey
(isp) Fri 08-Mar-13 15:24:59
Print Post

Re: Imaginary Line Speeds - an update

Hi there,

Really sorry to hear that, any chance you could drop me a PM with your username so we can look into this for you?

Regards,

Matthew Taylor
Plusnet Customer Support
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User melb
(newbie) Thu 21-Mar-13 09:14:14
Print Post

Re: Imaginary Line Speeds - All's well that ends well

Fibre now installed - 72Mbps is real, not imaginary - Hip Hip Hooray!

It took six weeks instead of the PlusnNet initial estimate of two, but there you go, it's all history now.

Is it worth it? Yes. So far, based on two days usage, it's rock solid, but I'm still to fully understand the TBB speed test.

Cheers

Mel

PlusNet Fibre Unlimited

Speed Test

Edited by melb (Thu 21-Mar-13 09:18:31)

ISP Representative thatadamwalker
(isp) Thu 21-Mar-13 12:25:06
Print Post

Re: Imaginary Line Speeds - All's well that ends well

Really glad to hear that's been sorted.

Do let us know if you have any other issues.

Adam

Adam Walker
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
  Print Thread

Jump to