User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User annie96
(regular) Fri 08-Mar-13 16:33:37
Print Post

Three different Plusnet reps - 3 different Answers

[link to this post]

The situation as it happened.
I was looking into switching from O2 to Plusnet. Specifically the Unlimited Fibre Package But I was concerned about what Plusnet call 'traffic prioritisation'. Based on statements made by Thinkbroadband staff I was led to believe that there was an add on package called 'Plusnet Pro' that would opt you out of Traffic prioritisation.
On the Plusnet website this 'Plusnet Pro' add on is discussed in the current FAQ (dated from Dec 2012). However it appears no where as an addon option for ANY of their broadband packages online.

So I rang Plusnet to enquire
Plusnet agent Number 1(Elliot): The FAQ are wrong we don't do Plusnet Pro addon anymore. However the unlimited broadband package has NO 'Traffic Prioritisation'.

Thinkbroadband users & staff insisted this was not correct.

So I rang Plusnet again
Plusnet agent Number 2 (Kelly?): We don't do that any more (Plusnet Pro addon) But the unlimited package has NO 'Traffic Prioritisation'
Me: But the FAQ say it is current & you do do 'Traffic Prioritisation on ALL packages'
Plusnet Agent Number 2 (Kelly?): I don't know then.
Me: Well I'm really interested in switching to you but I need concrete terms 1st. Would a manager know?
Plusnet Agent Number 2 (Kelly?): Yes I'll get a supervisor (Jamie) to call you back shortly he is just on a call.
Me: Thanks that is great.

Plusnet phoned me back
Plusnet Agent Number 3 (Jamie): First he slips up & says that Agent 2 was 'halfway out the door' so got him to take the call for her& he intimates that he isn't a supervisor. He also said that Agents 1 & 2 are both wrong & need retraining. Then he says that ALL packages are subject to 'traffic prioritisation' & that Plusnet Pro Addon does exist & so you can opt out. But agents aren't allowed to 'authorise' it on the phone. And you have to be a Plusnet customer before the website will allow you to see the terms & conditions price etc & add it on after you have already joined.
Me: OK but I'm not joining unless I can see evidence that it exists, is current & can be used by new customers. Three different agents saying different things & FAQ saying something else. I said where could I get written confirmation.
Plusnet Agent Number 3 (Jamie): Go onto the website & use the 'ask Jess feature' it goes through to a different office & they will know more about it.
Me: Ok I'll do that

On looking at the Ask Jess feature it is an automated computerised predictive answer thing. If I type in my question it tells me to phone sales. The same office that said they can't help.

So any Plusnet Agents/Spy/Infiltrators know where the secret information is held? Which Agent is telling the truth etc? Plusnet does look like potentially my best option but I need to know what I'm agreeing to before I will sign an 18mth contract. Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on this. smile

PS I'm going to ask nicely that any sarcastic types that post just to tell me 'well if you don't like it choose a different ISP', you aren't helping me so DON'T!!!!!!!!!!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------
O2 Unlimited with static IP
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Fri 08-Mar-13 16:37:57
Print Post

Re: Three different Plusnet reps - 3 different Answers

[re: annie96] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by annie96:
Then he says that ALL packages are subject to 'traffic prioritisation' & that Plusnet Pro Addon does exist & so you can opt out.

Even that isn't strictly correct. The Pro addon elevates certain protocols to higher priority queues, but some protocols are still in higher priority queues than others.

Oliver.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 08-Mar-13 16:41:06
Print Post

Here you go - it's a faq http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/pro-A...

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Fri 08-Mar-13 17:02:09
Print Post

A line on an unlimited account will run up to line speed no matter what type of download you are running. Traffic prioritisation will kick in if the total bandwidth of everything you are trying to do simultaneously on all the connected devices is faster than your line speed. It will ensure that background activity like P2P is slowed just enough to let gaming, VoIP and streaming run at full speed. Traffic prioritisation is there to improve the overall experience.

The Pro add-on will elevate all activities up to gold or better. This may mean that the balance between background tasks and the time critical tasks could be upset.

My question to you is why you would want to spend £5 per month on something which won't increase the total throughput and runs a significant risk of degrading the overall experience?

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001
Standard User JimmyBoy
(committed) Fri 08-Mar-13 17:08:38
Print Post

So any Plusnet Agents/Spy/Infiltrators know where the secret information is held?

It's available as an 'Add-On' via the Member Centre for £5.00/month.

Apologies for the lack of formatting...
Pro Add On

Upgrades your service to a top-class prioritised connection, ideal for online gaming and working from home. Subject to a 1 month contract.
£5.00 a month
Add now

SOLAR - 0129 on a SKY DigiBox - As good now as they were on FM in the 1980s!
Standard User animal007
(member) Fri 08-Mar-13 17:13:47
Print Post

[re: JimmyBoy] [link to this post]

There is no need for this pro addon thing if your choosing fibre unlimited and i can tell you first hand that everything works, p2p goes full speed as does everything else.

The way the new system works is like this, Lets say you are downloading a torrent at full line speed and someone else in your house wants to do some gaming or use iplayer then the system will try to prioritise gaming and streaming.

Been with plusnet since the 14th feb this year and so far i haven't seen any slow down on p2p or anything even when streaming from iplayer or youtube.

It's also my understanding that this pro addon was more for the older packages where p2p was slowed down at peak times.
Standard User annie96
(member) Fri 08-Mar-13 17:14:53
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Oliver341:
Then he says that ALL packages are subject to 'traffic prioritisation' & that Plusnet Pro Addon does exist & so you can opt out.

Even that isn't strictly correct. The Pro addon elevates certain protocols to higher priority queues, but some protocols are still in higher priority queues than others.

Yes I saw that yesterday in the little chart in the Plusnet Pro Add-On FAQ. The FAQ two of their agents swear blind aren't current for new customers. And the website link in those FAQ to add it on won't work. laugh

Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 08-Mar-13 17:17:05
Print Post

Have a read here.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User annie96
(member) Fri 08-Mar-13 17:19:27
Print Post

[re: JimmyBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by JimmyBoy:
So any Plusnet Agents/Spy/Infiltrators know where the secret information is held?

It's available as an 'Add-On' via the Member Centre for £5.00/month.

Apologies for the lack of formatting...
Pro Add On

Upgrades your service to a top-class prioritised connection, ideal for online gaming and working from home. Subject to a 1 month contract.
£5.00 a month
Add now

Thanks for that but as I've said I'm familiar with the FAQ. Two agents say it is no longer available for new customers & the link on that page takes you to a member only page. smile
I simply want them to clarify either by email or in writing what the situation is either way.

Standard User annie96
(member) Fri 08-Mar-13 17:21:10
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kasg:
Have a read here.

As I pointed out in the first & subsequent posts Plusnet agents are saying it is no longer current.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to