User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mikkoyan
(newbie) Fri 08-Mar-13 18:22:53
Print Post

Static IP - what's the advantage?

[link to this post]

Is there any advantage in having a static Plusnet IP address apart from using the tbb qualiy monitor?
I do not have a web site.
Would the static IP address mean that I always get my connection via the same gateway?
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 08-Mar-13 19:06:21
Print Post

Re: Static IP - what's the advantage?

[re: mikkoyan] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mikkoyan:
Would the static IP address mean that I always get my connection via the same gateway?

I don't believe so, I think you'd still get assigned a (potentially new) gateway every time you initiated a new session.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST

Edited by kasg (Fri 08-Mar-13 19:07:03)

Standard User RichardMZ
(newbie) Fri 08-Mar-13 21:17:11
Print Post

It's useful if one runs a mail server. Running your own mail server/web server has lately become quite easy, with many cheap and cheerful NAS machines available.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Fri 08-Mar-13 22:01:02
Print Post

The only disadvantage would be should plusnet decide to implement Carrier Grade Nat for all those with dynamic IP addresses as websites would only see one IP and not each individual IP ,also some P2P apps wouldn't work, this could also have a negative impact on some games, But as far as i'm aware only plusnet are planning on using CGN

Static IP addresses are mainly used by people who run/host servers on their PC's
As then they can use their own registered domain name instead of having to use changing IP addresses

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Fri 08-Mar-13 22:01:18
Print Post

1 - if you like to RD from elsewhere, its probably helpful to have a static ip even if using some dynamic dns service i think static ip better. Likewise if run a service of any kind like email server etc.
2 - tbb as already mentioned.
3 - if you have ACL's on things you access (which are ip based) or you audit thigns you access meaning its easier when its a static ip, it helps on that as well.
4 - dynamic ips can be flooded with torrent traffic or other rogue traffic depending on what the previous owner of the ip used it for, likewise could be banned on sites etc.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - Estimate 65.9/20 - Attainable peak 110/36 - Current Sync 71/20
ISP Representative orbrey
(isp) Mon 11-Mar-13 11:15:32
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tommy45:
But as far as i'm aware only plusnet are planning on using CGN

Hi there,

We've only tested it - there's no plans as yet to implement anything.

Regards,

Matthew Taylor
Plusnet Customer Support
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
  Print Thread

Jump to