User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Nick_C
(regular) Thu 14-Mar-13 11:09:32
Print Post

Question about Speed Test Results

[link to this post]

Hey guys,
Just a quick query. I am getting this on my speed tests on TB: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/13632... (52.89 Mbps) with a ping of 16ms. However my actual download speed is a maximum of 3MB/s when I download from the test files on this site. Is this normal?

----------
Dellnet, IC24 Dialup --> UKOnline, Lite LLU Dec 2006 - June 2010 --> O2 Standard, June 2010 - February 2013 --> Plusnet Unlimited Fibre, February 2013 - present
Standard User Bright
(member) Thu 14-Mar-13 12:20:27
Print Post

Re: Question about Speed Test Results

[re: Nick_C] [link to this post]

3MB/s would be 24Mbps (8 bits in a byte!), which is close to the first (green) result in your test results.

Do you have a download manager you could use to try on the file download - that would open multiple parallel threads to speed up the download and (hopefully) max out your line.

Robert

PSS/BT Gold > Compuserve > Netscalibur > Dircon > Zen > Be > PlusNet Unlimited Fibre
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 14-Mar-13 12:23:17
Print Post

There are two download results on the graph.

The TBB figure equates to your example of a single file download.
The HTTPx6 is us doing six web based downloads at the same time.

One possible reason is that your RWIN needs tweaking to allow faster single thread downloads.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Nick_C
(regular) Thu 14-Mar-13 21:13:22
Print Post

[re: Bright] [link to this post]

@Bright Can you recommend any good download managers?

@MrSaffron How would I go about changing my RWIN? I know its something to do with Simultaneous TCIP connections.

Also when the old speed test was up I used to be able to download the test files at 4.5MB/s and higher.

----------
Dellnet, IC24 Dialup --> UKOnline, Lite LLU Dec 2006 - June 2010 --> O2 Standard, June 2010 - February 2013 --> Plusnet Unlimited Fibre, February 2013 - present

Edited by Nick_C (Thu 14-Mar-13 21:15:00)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 14-Mar-13 21:31:46
Print Post

In reply to a post by Nick_C:
How would I go about changing my RWIN? I know its something to do with Simultaneous TCIP connections.
Only need to on XP: MTU and RWIN explained. It's no nowt to do with Simultaneous connections, but with buffering large distant downloads.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 14-Mar-13 23:18:13
Print Post

Downloading of test files from http://www.thinkbroadband.com/download.html is independent of changes we have made to the speed tester

If anything the changes to the network to support Gigabit speed tests will have made them faster and we have found that in testing and people running tests from universities and Hyperoptic

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Bright
(member) Fri 15-Mar-13 08:08:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by Nick_C:
@Bright Can you recommend any good download managers?
I'm using a Mac. I think you're probably using some flavour of Windows...? I use a programme called iGetter. It was originally developed for the Mac but there is also a Windows version available now - I have no idea if it's any good on the Windows platform. Works well for me.

I'm sure other forum members can suggest their favourite download managers for Windows smile

Robert

PSS/BT Gold > Compuserve > Netscalibur > Dircon > Zen > Be > PlusNet Unlimited Fibre
  Print Thread

Jump to