User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User rocketronnie75
(regular) Sun 17-Mar-13 22:20:31
Print Post

I have few questions before signing up to fibre?

[link to this post]

Hi,

I'm looking to leave o2 and move to plusnet fibre.

Looking at the line speed results I should get
Estimated download speed:53Mb smile
Estimated upload speed:16Mb smile

I have a few questions before I sign up to plusnet fibre.

1. Can I use my Netgear DGND4000 router without the need for the BT Openreach Modem???. If not can my DGND4000 be connected to the BT openreach Modem?
I have 3 pc's in the house and share my USB printer using the usb port on the DGND4000.

2. Will an RJ11 cable work in the Gigabit Ethernet port on my DGND4000. I have a 20 metre RJ11 cable going from master socket under floorboards, carpet etc to my bedroom upstairs. I have a 5 bedroom house and my bedroom is the only place I can get a wifi signal in all of the house. Replacing the RJ11 cable with a RJ45 is not an option because it would be a lot of hassle moving wardrobes and beds tec.

3. Can I do a self install (I already have the faceplate installed).

4. Is there a fair usage policy?

Thanks
Kamal
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 17-Mar-13 22:29:40
Print Post

Re: I have few questions before signing up to fibre?

[re: rocketronnie75] [link to this post]

1a) No, it hasn't a VDSL Fibre modem. 1b) Only if it has or can be configured to an Ethernet WAN port.

3) No, an OR eng needs to bring and install the OR Fibre modem.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 17-Mar-13 22:35:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by rocketronnie75:
1. Can I use my Netgear DGND4000 router without the need for the BT Openreach Modem???.
No.
If not can my DGND4000 be connected to the BT openreach Modem?
Yes
2. Will an RJ11 cable work in the Gigabit Ethernet port on my DGND4000. I have a 20 metre RJ11 cable going from master socket under floorboards, carpet etc to my bedroom upstairs. I have a 5 bedroom house and my bedroom is the only place I can get a wifi signal in all of the house. Replacing the RJ11 cable with a RJ45 is not an option because it would be a lot of hassle moving wardrobes and beds tec.
No. I assume you mean it is standard telephone extension cable and IMO that will cause horrendous speed loss. It needs to be CAT5 at least.
3. Can I do a self install (I already have the faceplate installed).
No. The engineer brings the modem. He also has to perform line tests during the installation and sign it off. Also the VDSL filtered faceplate is thought by some to be a slightly different filtering spec from what I assume is an ADSLx filtered faceplate that you have.
4. Is there a fair usage policy?
No. Absolutely not.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 17-Mar-13 22:37:40
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

You must have clicked the post button as I started drafting smile

1b is OK. I checked the router spec.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 17-Mar-13 22:42:28
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yes, I'm not familiar with that router but from the "DG" took it to be a common ADSL router. Cba to look up its spec as assume OP would be able to see its features smile

Left you PN'ers to cover Q2 & 4.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
(regular) Sun 17-Mar-13 22:47:25
Print Post

No. I assume you mean it is standard telephone extension cable and IMO that will cause horrendous speed loss. It needs to be CAT5 at least

It's a high quality 20 metre RJ11 cable. I'm actually getting 1mb higher speed with the 20 metre RJ11 cable than using a 0.5m RJ11 cable.

No. The engineer brings the modem. He also has to perform line tests during the installation and sign it off. Also the VDSL filtered faceplate is thought by some to be a slightly different filtering spec from what I assume is an ADSLx filtered faceplate that you have.

I have the vDSL filtered faceplate. A tenant left it in the house my mum was renting out.

I have this one fitted

Edited by rocketronnie75 (Sun 17-Mar-13 22:54:52)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 17-Mar-13 23:03:52
Print Post

OK - I accept you have the faceplate. But it's still no unless you can really blag the engineer, and if you succeed don't get upset if you get poor speed.

The VDSL signal is highly sensitive to distance and you sound as though you are already over 500 metres from the cabinet. So it could hit you. I don't think I have any VDSL2 profile 17a attenuation graphs.

All this particular issue is of course ISP-independent. Purely Openreach, so the same wherever you go. I gather you don't want the engineer fitting the free Home Wiring Solution/Data Extension Kit. Which by the way does have an external option!

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 17-Mar-13 23:06:01
Print Post

I forgot - your question about the RJ45/RJ11 plug/socket is of course no longer relevant. You would have the modem and router both in the bedroom.

(regular) Sun 17-Mar-13 23:15:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
OK - I accept you have the faceplate. But it's still no unless you can really blag the engineer, and if you succeed don't get upset if you get poor speed.

The VDSL signal is highly sensitive to distance and you sound as though you are already over 500 metres from the cabinet. So it could hit you. I don't think I have any VDSL2 profile 17a attenuation graphs.

All this particular issue is of course ISP-independent. Purely Openreach, so the same wherever you go. I gather you don't want the engineer fitting the free Home Wiring Solution/Data Extension Kit. Which by the way does have an external option!

Thanks for your reply.

I didn't know about the free Home Wiring Solution/Data Extension Kit. How will it work externally??? will the engineer drill a hole in the wall and go over the roof???

Also the Cabinet is only around 20 metres away from my house

Edited by rocketronnie75 (Sun 17-Mar-13 23:25:07)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 17-Mar-13 23:29:02
Print Post

They go round walls, not over roofs so far as I know. You also have to make sure this is ordered for you, as not all ISPs do it automatically in case it is needed.

Are you sure you are looking at the right cabinet, not a VM Cable one? Pictures. At 20 metres you would have a 76/20 estimate.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to