User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ismoore999
(newbie) Fri 22-Mar-13 18:16:04
Print Post

Router for Fibre and Sure Signal

[link to this post]

Hi
I am looking to buy a better router than the one provided by Plusnet.
Can anyone recommend one that works with Fibre and with Vodafone Sure Signal.
I had a Draytek 2820 but the firmware doesn't allow fragmented UDP packets so Sure Signal just never worked (though I believe the 2830 does)

Thanks in advance
Ian
Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Fri 22-Mar-13 19:20:47
Print Post

Re: Router for Fibre and Sure Signal

[re: ismoore999] [link to this post]

If you've got the cash then i'd highly recommend the Cisco Linksys EA6500. I'm using the VF suresignal (v3) with it without any issues but the best thing about it is the wireless thoroughput...excellent on wifi b/g/n as well as ac of course.

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ 18383/1020 kbps
Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220
Standard User kraven
(newbie) Tue 26-Mar-13 16:14:16
Print Post

I completely gave up with the Thomson / Technicolor router provided by PlusNet, it was simply awful and frequently rebooted which meant my connection dropped for upto 10 minutes at a time.

I use a Vodafone SureSignal with a Netgear R6300 AC router and it works fine, but I needed to assign the SureSignal a reserved IP address and ensure that the following ports were redirected to it : 50, 4500,500,8 & 123

Also, with the R6300, I get the full fibre bandwidth to my ipad 4 and iphone 5, 72mbit down, 18mbit up using the Speedtest.net app

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User NuttyMucker
(member) Tue 26-Mar-13 16:43:58
Print Post

Plusnet fibre user - Technicolour was fine with the SS but the router was pants. Use my trusty Netgear WNR2000. Its old but works great and does what I need it to do. The SS plugged in and was up in no time.

Standard User TopDog
(committed) Mon 01-Apr-13 18:53:07
Print Post

Hi,

I am thinking of switching from Virgin Cable to Plusnet and one of the main reasons is that Vodafone sure signal is almost unusable on the Virgin network because of network issues.

Are you saying the standard router Plusnet provide does not work with Vodafone Sure Signal?

Everything apart from phones runs over Ethernet for so I am not too concerned about wireless performance but I certainly want to be able to use Vodafone sure signal ideally without having to purchase a separate router.

Thanks,

---

TopDog
Virgin Media 50mb
Standard User ismoore999
(newbie) Mon 01-Apr-13 21:03:47
Print Post

[re: TopDog] [link to this post]

No, the opposite. I have had no issues with the latest plus net router but I have with other riuters, such as a Draytek. Are you sure that the issue is with virgin or their router?
Standard User trolleybus
(member) Mon 01-Apr-13 22:03:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by ismoore999:
Hi
I am looking to buy a better router than the one provided by Plusnet.
Can anyone recommend one that works with Fibre and with Vodafone Sure Signal.
I had a Draytek 2820 but the firmware doesn't allow fragmented UDP packets so Sure Signal just never worked (though I believe the 2830 does)

Thanks in advance
Ian

I can confirm that the 2830 will work with Sure Signal. Actual combination is:

DrayTek: Vigor2830Vn Firmware Version: 3.6.3_sb_232201 Build Date/Time: Sep 17 2012 16:18:48

Sure Signal MODEL 9361 HOMECELL V2-V PART NUMBER 3JR09110 ABBA

Open Ports required
UDP 4500, 500, 123
TCP 50
TCP/UDP 1723

Don't expect it to spring into life straight away. A reboot of the router and VSS is required and it takes about 15 minutes to sync.

It goes without saying the mobiles you are using needs to be registered with the unit and of course this is for the Vodafone network only. Make sure the mobile mobile used is listed as being compatible with the unit.

Some people reported that they got the combination of 2820 and VSS working but I simply do not believe that is the case. I had a LOT of technical help for Vodafone and between us we could not crack it.

Of course the 2830 is not a bit of kit that replaces the OR modem; you link the two togther with CAT5 into the WAN port; one the draytek routers does but whether you could gett VSS working with it is unknown.

Please report back your choice of router and whether you achieved the oracle.
Standard User TopDog
(committed) Tue 02-Apr-13 00:41:13
Print Post

It is a known issue with Virgin network. It was actually specifically mentioned on Vodafone Sure Signal troubleshooting support page for Virgin Media customers. It is a particular issue where you can hear the other person perfectly but when the network is congested at peak times the other caller could hardly hear you frown

---

TopDog
Virgin Media 50mb
  Print Thread

Jump to