User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Sun 24-Mar-13 02:32:51
Print Post

post office to already active plusnet

[link to this post]

Hope this is the right place to post

I currently have 2 active phone lines one is with the post office the other is with plusnet, the plusnet has both BB and phone but i dont use that phone number it just worked out cheaper to get both phone and BB, the post office line is the one with the number we use,

now all the deals are up and everything id like to go back down to 1 active line is it possible to move the post office phone number over to plusnet and basically disregard the plusnet phone number all together or have i shot my self in the foot by having 2 lines to start with

Thanks Ash

Plus.net - Extra Fibre - IP Profile - 69.54 Mbps / 20Mbps
My Broadband Speed Test
Speedtest net
My Broadband Ping
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Sun 24-Mar-13 07:33:42
Print Post

Re: post office to already active plusnet

[re: acpsd775] [link to this post]

Not sure if you can do what you want, but the other way would be to do a home move of the broadband to the Post Office line (free if you stay with Plusnet for a near) and then swap to Plusnet phone on that line.

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 24-Mar-13 10:59:36
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

I think that's been suggested before, maybe a different ISP, and the problem is that the systems have a problem with the two addresses being the same. Don't forget that to do a Home Move a migration is involved via Openreach.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Sun 24-Mar-13 17:12:40
Print Post

thanks for the reply looks like i may be stuck with 2 lines then lol ill give plus net a ring tomorrow when i get back and see what they say

Ash

My Broadband Speed Test
Speedtest net
My Broadband Ping
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Mon 25-Mar-13 21:28:53
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I've seen it done before.

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Thu 28-Mar-13 22:40:18
Print Post

finally got around to ringing them up, he says they cant move the post office number to my plusnet line, But they can move my broadband over the the post office line then take over the post office line keeping the number i want then disconnecting the current plusnet line,

Said as long as i go into a new contract then i wont have to pay anything they will do it as if i was moving address even though im not , im onlt about 4 month into an 18 month contract anyway and i dont plan on moving ISPs anytime soon anyway so to me it seams a good way of doing it and will save my self £14 a month on the line rental of the second phone
think i might also take the line rental saver at the same time so over the course of the next 12 months would be a £168 saving on second line rental and another 40-50 on the rental saver.

Ash

My Broadband Speed Test
Speedtest net
My Broadband Ping
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Thu 04-Apr-13 10:03:51
Print Post

nothing ever seams to go straight forward for me lol turns out the broadband i got rid of on my PO line in November still has tags on the line so PN cant take over till those are removed,
They told me to ring the PO up and ask for a start and stop service the PO did not know anything about that but has sent a email off the BTO tags team to get them removed for me said 24-48 hours so fingers crossed that go's well

Ash

My Broadband Speed Test
Speedtest net
My Broadband Ping
Standard User ultra
(experienced) Sat 06-Apr-13 13:50:54
Print Post

Good luck with that. I remember wanting to get 1 Mbps service back in 2002 or 2003 on one of my lines (2 POTS lines and Home Highway in that house, so I had 5 numbers in total)...

I had been on a deal with Freeserve costing 19.99/month (instead of 29.99/month - they were charging the group of trial users for 'self install' the Dixons staff discount rate, and wanted to put it up (to correct their mistake), so I cancelled the service). When I wanted to get connected on that line, some 6-8 weeks after I had stopped paying FS, it was still tagged as being in service.

I did get an Openreach number from Freeserve Customer Services and Openreach did eventually confirm line was still "in use". Anyway, when I told FS they were still paying for it, despite my account being closed, they sorted it out. Missed out on the cheap/free installation for 1 Mbps, however, as it was 4 months from the time I had cancelled with Freeserve before the line was available for other ISPs.

Lucky for me my other line was with Eclipse. Don't remember when I cancelled the Home Highway but it was probably within 6 months of getting Freeserve 500 kbps with an Alcatel "frog" USB modem... quickly replaced with a PTI router at 90 quid +VAT... Luckily I sold the Alcatel for about 100 (what it had cost me).

---

If you run a business, have a second ISP and backup web hosting...
  Print Thread

Jump to