User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Bobby_Valentino
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 29-Mar-13 21:24:23
Print Post

Unlimited Fibre Broadband P2P Question

[link to this post]

Hi

Iv seen that the priorty for p2p on the fibre broadband tariff is classed as 'bronze''. What are the real world speeds like on a torrent download using a up to 80mbps connection?

TIA.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 29-Mar-13 21:41:49
Print Post

Re: Unlimited Fibre Broadband P2P Question

[re: Bobby_Valentino] [link to this post]

That's a queue designation. If you aren't running anything with a higher priority, then a torrent will be able to run at full line speed.

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________
Standard User Domsy
(member) Sat 30-Mar-13 01:34:02
Print Post

Re: Unlimited Fibre Broadband P2P Question

[re: Bobby_Valentino] [link to this post]

I had my concerns about this as well, so I made a post about it. You should have a read of the responses, as it links to many others that are very helpful.

But the TL;DR version: It's a priority for your own connection, not everyone. It's designed to prevent more important services (like streaming, VoIP, etc.) from being degraded by less important ones (like P2P). If all your connection is doing is P2P, priority won't make any difference to the maximum speed you can attain and you can max out your connection providing the P2P quality allows it (I have experienced this, also).

Once you understand the traffic management, you realise it's a good thing.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to