User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User theredindian
(newbie) Wed 10-Apr-13 19:47:09
Print Post

Switching from Be to Plusnet fibre optic - can i use my TG58

[link to this post]

Hi,

i'm looking at switching broadband providers since Sky announced they was buying Be.

I'm currently on the old Be Unlimited package, and using the TG585v7 router supplied by Be.

I'm thinking about upgrading to fibre optic broadband, as now seems like a good time. Looking at the various packages available, i'm thinking of signing up with PlusNet's Unlimited Fibre Broadband and calls, as this meets my usage requirements.

But i have two main concerns;

1) I'm interested in real-world speeds when using Usenet. Do PlusNet throttle at certain times (they mention a Bronze level of priority for P2P and Usenet). Whilst I understand this may give higher priority to people streaming iPlayer... what about customers that don't ?

2) the [censored] techicolor router that PlusNet supply can be temperamental. From my understanding a BT engineer will install a fibre optic modem, and then the PlusNet router is connected to that modem via an ethernet cable.

Can i use my Be TG585v7 router instead of the techicolor router? If not, is there a better router i could buy separately or am i stuck with the PlusNet techicolor router?
Standard User lt567
(committed) Wed 10-Apr-13 20:09:56
Print Post

Re: Switching from Be to Plusnet fibre optic - can i use my

[re: theredindian] [link to this post]

When you say real world speeds it depends what you are doing? I mean P2P at certain times can go as fast as your line can handle, sometimes not and is also dependant on the tariff you go on.

I also had the same question recently and it seems you can use pretty much any router as long as it has PPOE on it. As long as it has that and can handle the throughput of your fibre speeds, then it should be OK.
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 10-Apr-13 20:35:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by theredindian:
1) I'm interested in real-world speeds when using Usenet. Do PlusNet throttle at certain times (they mention a Bronze level of priority for P2P and Usenet). Whilst I understand this may give higher priority to people streaming iPlayer... what about customers that don't ?

See this thread from yesterday where the same question was asked.
Can i use my Be TG585v7 router instead of the techicolor router? If not, is there a better router i could buy separately or am i stuck with the PlusNet techicolor router?

The TG585 is an ADSL router, you need a "cable" router. As supplied it doesn't have a WAN port, which is what you need to connect to the Openreach modem. I believe there is firmware you can download to convert one of the LAN ports to a WAN port. It's probably easier to take the Plusnet router smile

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 10-Apr-13 22:18:56
Print Post

Yours hasn't got WAN input for the ethernet feed from the modem.

The Plusnet router isn't temperamental so far as I know, and is probably OK on ADSL2+. But at typical FTTC speeds the wireless isn't fast enough.

It's worth taking it and seeing how you get on, for the cost of the P & P. If you aren't happy then you can try others (returnable?) with that as a fill-in and spare if needed.

I've got one if these, but I expect stuff at over £100 might be a bit better. Not over 400% better though.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User TimsterRS4
(newbie) Wed 10-Apr-13 22:25:01
Print Post

Hi,

i'm looking at switching broadband providers since Sky announced they was buying Be.

I'm currently on the old Be Unlimited package, and using the TG585v7 router supplied by Be.

I'm thinking about upgrading to fibre optic broadband, as now seems like a good time. Looking at the various packages available, i'm thinking of signing up with PlusNet's Unlimited Fibre Broadband and calls, as this meets my usage requirements.

But i have two main concerns;

Spooky, almost my post exactly wink
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/plusnet/f/4228761-c...
Standard User OCdragon
(experienced) Thu 11-Apr-13 11:07:33
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

RobertS,
I am considering to move from O2 to PN's unlimited fibre probably the end of this April. but I have read so many "unhappy comments", mainly its wireless performance, about the PN's supplied 582n router! So I am preparing to replace the PN's 582n router with the "lower cost" Bufferlo Airstation" recommended by yourself. However, since I am not in PN fibre yet, could you briefly mention HOW to configure the Bufferlo Airstation to replace this PN's router once the PN's roputer has been setup by the OpenReach engineer and left please?? I have heard about PN's router User Name and Password that you have to re-configure into the replacement router, is it true and may I ask how to do it?? Many thanks

Intel E4300 OC with 2GB RAMs,Speedtouch 585 Modem/Router and Windows XP Pro

O2 Standard ADSL2+ Broadband!

Edited by OCdragon (Thu 11-Apr-13 11:10:06)

Standard User theredindian
(newbie) Thu 11-Apr-13 19:42:20
Print Post

[re: OCdragon] [link to this post]

what do you think of the netgear WNDR4300 or WNDR4500? are there any cheaper alternatives that are just as good like the ASUSRT-N66U N900?
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 11-Apr-13 19:54:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by OCdragon:
However, since I am not in PN fibre yet, could you briefly mention HOW to configure the Bufferlo Airstation to replace this PN's router once the PN's roputer has been setup by the OpenReach engineer and left please?? I have heard about PN's router User Name and Password that you have to re-configure into the replacement router, is it true and may I ask how to do it?? Many thanks

The Openreach engineer will not touch the Plusnet router. The supplied one should auto-configure itself, otherwise you just enter your Plusnet user name and password into the relevant place in the router settings that deals with the Internet connection, whatever make it is, and it should all just work.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 11-Apr-13 21:41:53
Print Post

As kasg says, with a little more.

I've a feeling I did need to enter the username and password into the Buffalo, but if so it asked for it during the Easy Setup wizard. After that it all happened automatically like the Plusnet 582n as kasg says. The instruction booklet with the 582n contain the username and password, and we can also tell you how to construct it from your signup details. (Without you needing to divulge them).

The instructions with the 582n are very detailed and clear and I did use it when I got it - otherwise I wouldn't have known whether or not it was better than the Buffalo. The instructions for both the 582n and the earlier Netgear WNR1000 say it takes about 15 minutes to complete the Account activation and establish a PPP session, even after its lights say it has an internet connection. During that time nothing at all seems to happen. (The booklet says go away for 15 minutes and have a coffee).

The Buffalo takes 5-10 minutes when using the wizard, but of course the Account was live by the time I tried it. I failed miserably when trying to set it up manually for IDNet and then Plusnet, but the wizard gets it right nearly every time. If it fails try again - and if it keeps failing it's probably Plusnet or Buffalo that has a problem. It seems to want to "phone home" during the process.

At that point the "spare" 582n is useful to see if Plusnet is down. Or of course a router or line problem. I like to have a spare set up ready to go.

The Buffalo gives a three-stage report showing where it is up to, and using the wizard whilst connected wirelessly to it is no problem. It's got one of the easy connect buttons for the wireless so you can set that up first, even before you have FTTC.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 11-Apr-13 21:43:29)

Standard User OCdragon
(experienced) Fri 12-Apr-13 11:07:37
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

All your infos. advised are quite useful to me, thank you very much

Intel E4300 OC with 2GB RAMs,Speedtouch 585 Modem/Router and Windows XP Pro

O2 Standard ADSL2+ Broadband!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to