User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Peterx14
(committed) Thu 11-Apr-13 23:39:37
Print Post

Questions about migrating in from ADSL & switching to Fibre

[link to this post]

I'm thinking about switching to Plusnet Unlimited Fibre + Phone from IDNet ADSL + phone, and I've got a few questions:

1. Since I'm switching from ADSL to Fibre, do I need a MAC Key?
2. Do I need some kind of MAC-like code for my phone migration?
3. Is there likely to be any kind of outage with either service?
4. Is there a best time in my billing cycle to migrate?
5. I believe I can have a static IP address for a one-off £5 charge? And I believe I can have caller display for 99p per month?
6. Have I forgotten anything? laugh

Thanks in advance!

--
IDNet Home Plus
Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 12-Apr-13 00:01:06
Print Post

Re: Questions about migrating in from ADSL & switching to Fi

[re: Peterx14] [link to this post]

This post may help - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,1139...

You can also go to the Plusnet website and an online chat box should pop-up so you can converse with a Plusnet rep(although, if my experience is anything to go by don't bet your house on the accuracy of the information they give). tongue
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 12-Apr-13 00:01:30
Print Post

1. Yes
2. No, different method called Notification of Transfer, where plusnet tell the old provider who double check you are really wanting to move
3. Phone near seamless. Broadband, time for engineer to jumper it at cab and get to your house and connection, so 30 mins to an hour
4. Depends on notice terms of IDNet
5. IP yes, Caller ID (not so sure)

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 12-Apr-13 00:46:44
Print Post

Largely as per MrSaffron. Plus:-

4) Very hard to judge that as the FTTC migration is highly dependent on the Openreach loading and schedules for your exchange. The sign-up procedure on Plusnet apparently gives you three installation dates, but it seems most people fail to get the date they request. ( I signed up by phone and just took what date came later).

The offered dates come from Openreach, but I think they are as on the night before, and by the time you get there they've already been taken by some other ISP. The real date comes from Openreach to Plusnet and on to you when Openreach process the order and schedule the job. Often a week later than on that list. So don't book time off work if you need to until you have the confirmed date issued by Openreach.

Also Plusnet's normal procedure when you order a bundle is to migrate the broadband first, then the line about three weeks later. I don't remember what IDNet do about notice periods as I was on stand-alone FTTC with them. My phone is with BT. Best to ask IDNet I think.

5) Yes to both. However you cannot order the static IP address prior to connection. As soon as you are connected though you simply log into your Member Centre and order it there. It's an automated process and goes through immediately. Do a simple PPP stop, restart a minute later, and you should get the address shown with the confirmation.

Full price list including early termination charges, which are worth knowing in case your circumstances change.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Peterx14
(committed) Fri 12-Apr-13 18:27:33
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thank you, and everyone else, for these answers!! laugh

--
IDNet Home Plus
  Print Thread

Jump to