User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User restarts
(regular) Fri 12-Apr-13 14:14:03
Print Post

Xilo to plusnet

[link to this post]

Hi

i'm currently paying for unlimited 16mbit Adsl2+ from xilo at £14,99 a month, I see that plusnet do the same at £9.99 a month, I'm not a heavy p2p downloader, Download monday night raw once a week and the occasional 360 game, I do watch a fair bit of youtube (streaming), Gaming well seen has i'm 200 meters from the exchange and games are unplayable due to lag compensation over the past several years, No matter which isp i've been with, So that doesn't really matter, So i might as well pay £5 less for the same experience.

What are peoples opinions on me switching, Should i? or shouldn't i?
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 12-Apr-13 14:46:25
Print Post

Re: Xilo to plusnet

[re: restarts] [link to this post]

I could get PN unlimited BB only on a no annual contract deal (market 2 exchange) but the activation fee would be £50 or £25 if I took an annual contract.

Personally, at the moment, I prefer to stay with uno TTB "pro" partial LLU (line rental with BT on a heavily discounted retention/loyalty contract) since the BB connection is rock solid, with no slow downs 24/7.

Guess if you took unlimited BB and line rental from PN then you could get the BB for £4.99 (market 2/3 exchange - "low cost area") 12 month contract deal with no activation charge - available until 7th May 2013 - assuming you are not currently contracted elsewhere for line rental.

Alternatively you could consider an internal migration with xilo/uno, which may cost £48, onto one of their other packages?

Edit: BTW I will probably seriously consider PN unlimited BB and phone deals when my current BT line rental contract is up for renewal later this year smile

Edited by 4M2 (Fri 12-Apr-13 15:06:19)

Standard User restarts
(regular) Fri 12-Apr-13 15:15:16
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

I don't pay the line rental, Someone else does, I just pay for the broadband.

The only other xilo package i see is 24Mb - 21CN, Which is £15.49 with usage limits.

I assume plusnet is 21CN seen has there owned by BT and £5 cheaper and unlimited and also get £28 cashback.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 12-Apr-13 15:37:19
Print Post

Guess you need a BB only deal then?

Have you made contact with Matt, Tom and the crew over at xilo/uno to check what the full range of packages are? Many exchanges are TTB LLU enabled and a "pro" 100GB partial LLU (SMPF) package (unmetered after 8pm and at weekends) might be available for about £15 (internal migration/activation might be £48 though.)

Otherwise PN unlimited 21CN BB only on either a no contract (£50 activation) or contracted (£25 activation) deal might be your best bet for £9.99...
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 12-Apr-13 16:29:02
Print Post

Yes, Plusnet is 21CN, (technically BT Wholesale WBMC). The fact they are owned by BT doesn't really come into that, as all land-line non-LLU broadband is BT Wholesale based. (WBC/WBMC/IPSC and maybe still a bit of ADSL Max or Datastream).

Once you sort out the cost of the setup, countered by the cashback, you should be fine on Plusnet Unlimited, even with your phone wherever it is now. Mine is still with BT.

Re the contract v non-contract options, be aware that the non-contract continues at the higher rate even after the 12 months is up. So long-term not a good place to be.

As you are close to the exchange I assume you get a very high speed, for ADSL2+, and you may very well be on Fast Path. If you would like to be able to game you might find having interleaving added adds sufficient latency to take you out of the server compensation zone, with an insignificant effect on the download speed. I would expect Plusnet ro be able to organise that on a trial or revert to Fast Path basis if you were with them.

Don't forget that cashback is never guaranteed until it's in your bank!

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 12-Apr-13 16:41:55
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

The PN activation costs might be negotiable and a decent retention deal might also be negotiable after 12 months even if one does not agree to a new contract smile

Aren't the non-contract and contract options the same price per month for BB only, the only difference being the activation costs, or am I reading the PN info wrongly?
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 12-Apr-13 16:47:02
Print Post

They aren't - no contract is £2.50 per month more http://www.plus.net/info2/legal/price_guide.html?sou...
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 12-Apr-13 16:55:00
Print Post

[re: Oldjim] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Oldjim:
They aren't - no contract is £2.50 per month more http://www.plus.net/info2/legal/price_guide.html?sou...

Thanks Oldjim - I was just reading this:

"Pricing

Plusnet Unlimited: If you live in a low cost area it costs £9.99 a month. If you live outside one of these areas it costs £16.99 a month."

from here
http://www.plus.net/home-broadband/broadband-only/ - legal bit smile
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 12-Apr-13 17:07:34
Print Post

Yeah - the no contract option price is well hidden until you try to order it
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 12-Apr-13 17:09:46
Print Post