User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 15-Apr-13 12:34:52
Print Post

Plusnet Router Auto Setup?

[link to this post]

So it appears that Plusnet are using TR69 to automatically set up the router immediately it gets plugged into the VDSL modem. Their user guide suggests waiting 15 minutes for the router to establish a working Internet connection. Does that sound right? Seems like a long time. Anyone had any problems using this method of router configuration?
Standard User HiPing
(learned) Mon 15-Apr-13 12:43:27
Print Post

Re: Plusnet Router Auto Setup?

[re: Spud2003] [link to this post]

Thats what I was informed as well when I joined. In effect it took little over 10mins to to connect. When I joined my previous isp (Sky) it took nearly 45mins to for a working connection to be established. So 15mins is not bad at all.
Standard User gmoorc
(committed) Mon 15-Apr-13 12:51:44
Print Post

When my father in laws FTTC was installed I added his account details to the router manually before the engineer arrived.

It connected immediately.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 15-Apr-13 14:20:45
Print Post

[re: gmoorc] [link to this post]

I'd normally do that as well, I'm just a bit paranoid and would prefer to do things exactly as Plusnet request in the event that some problem does crop up. Seems a bit of a waste of the engineer's time to wait 10 minutes for a connection(I assume they do have to hang around until they get a working net connection).
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 15-Apr-13 15:33:50
Print Post

My engineer plugged in the modem. The modem DSL light came green.

He plugged in my router which didn't connect but as the modem DSL light was lit he could leave.

Around 30 mins later my sky router lit up online.
Standard User peteadsl
(learned) Mon 15-Apr-13 17:49:31
Print Post

My engineer said it was my job to connect the Plusnet box. He'd connected the line. I spent almost 3hrs due to the 15 minute wait between each test, doing factory resets etc and then rang Plusnet to find they hadn't activated the internet. They did it on the spot and the light came on. Overall I'm very happy though after a week of fibre.

Regards
Pete from O2 to Plusnet fibre 8th April 2013
Standard User nuke_me
(committed) Mon 15-Apr-13 18:08:41
Print Post

When i had my FTTC from plus install around a month ago, the OR guy installed the modem and he plugged in the router, i waited 5mins for the router to auto config, and i tried google and it popped up.
But that morning i logged into my PN account and check if the account had been activated and it had been.

plusnet internet
  Print Thread

Jump to