User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User OCdragon
(experienced) Thu 25-Apr-13 20:18:42
Print Post

Does "unlimited Fibre" support multi-user s' e-mail accounts

[link to this post]

I am asking this trivial question due to multi-users in my family and each user wanted to have their own e-mail accounts. My existing O2 ADSL2+ account can support that and I will expect the Plusnet's unlimited fibre, which I'm think of migrating to next few day, will do the same!
I will certainly appreciate anyone to confirm that to me ASAP as I'm thinking of migrating to PlusNet within the next day if the above is true. Thanks

Intel E4300 OC with 2GB RAMs,Speedtouch 585 Modem/Router and Windows XP Pro

O2 Standard ADSL2+ Broadband!
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 25-Apr-13 20:44:25
Print Post

Re: Does "unlimited Fibre" support multi-user s' e-mail acco

[re: OCdragon] [link to this post]

AIUI you can keep the O2 accounts anyway. Anyone can have one, like gmail. You don't even need to be a customer in the first place.

I wonder what will happen to that though, once Sky are in charge. Hmmm frown. O2 will still have email facilities for mobile use.

A better idea would be to solve the problem for good, and never have to change again. Now would be the ideal time, as you could do it tomorrow and not have to worry ever again.

Have a read of this page. £18.34 per year including your own domain.

Re Plusnet, see this Help page.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User undecidedadrian
(member) Thu 25-Apr-13 21:04:40
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yup I agree with RobertoS I went over to a pair of domains and a paid for mail service on each 7 years ago and haven't looked back since.

It really is quite a small amount of money to get your own ISP independant service.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 25-Apr-13 22:40:17
Print Post

[re: undecidedadrian] [link to this post]

Adrian - who do you host with?

The lowest Tsohost package will service two domains. (Domains paid for separately of course).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Thu 25-Apr-13 22:54:16
Print Post

[re: OCdragon] [link to this post]

I have 10 Plusnet mailboxes plus a number of redirects and a far greater number of aliases (when registering on websites I use john01@... john02@... so if one gets compromised I (a) know who is to blame and (b) can ditch it by redirecting that address to a black hole).

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001

Edited by jelv (Thu 25-Apr-13 22:55:00)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 25-Apr-13 23:06:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
AIUI you can keep the O2 accounts (plural) anyway.
Can you be sure about that? How are multi email addys done with O2? Is it a primary addy + secondary ones you get with BB? If so, like AOL, you probably only get to keep the primary one.

To answer my own Qs ...

Yes, you do get a primary email addy when you sign up for O2 BB or you had one previously from any mobile #:
* An email address. Everyone who registers at o2.co.uk gets a free email address. You don't need to be an O2 customer to make use of this though you get enhanced services if you are.
Then you get some more with your BB:
* O2 Home Broadband users get even more. O2 Home Broadband users get 10 email address. This means they can have backup email addresses or give them out to friends and family. These email addresses also have extra features such as increased email storage space.
You can certainly keep the primary addy, but unlikely you can keep the secondaries when you leave.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 25-Apr-13 23:21:44
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Can't argue with that smile.

I wonder if there's anything to stop the "lost" addresses then being chosen as free-standing? Though all history could be lost depending on how the user goes about it.

Preservation of history is something that needs to be done correctly in any case, if needed, whichever way he chooses to proceed.

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 25-Apr-13 23:22:47)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 25-Apr-13 23:35:14
Print Post

Not clear what you mean by history? Don't see how the previous user can go about anything about it.

If a "lost" addy is reused by O2 site (for a new user) it will start with an empty mailbox. Previous BB user's email history will have been removed. Daresay O2 will keep the addy in limbo for a period 1st.

From your memory of O2, is there any syntactical relationship between the multi addys of a user?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Fri 26-Apr-13 00:18:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
From your memory of O2, is there any syntactical relationship between the multi addys of a user?

No, the username of username@o2.co.uk doesn't have to bear any relationship to that of the primary account.

Oliver.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 26-Apr-13 01:09:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
Not clear what you mean by history? Don't see how the previous user can go about anything about it.
If using POP3 it isn't much of a problem as you already have them downloaded.

If using IMAP, (I think O2 is IMAP and webmail only), then I don't know what happens if the host is closed, but my solution when changing host was to move everything to corresponding folders in Local Folders, then back again once connected to the new host. They all uploaded sweetly, including sub-folders smile.

If using only webmail then IMAP is the way to go, then as above.

A bit of care is needed as well due to the time for MX record propagation. So you need to create new accounts in the email client, not just change the logon and server details.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to