User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User dparr59
(committed) Tue 30-Apr-13 04:00:06
Print Post

Tried to sign up using monthly payment by Credit card

[link to this post]

Tried to sign up using monthly payment by Credit card website say i can but
online help assistant says i can't.
Direct debit only ?
plusnet quote :

http://www.plus.net/support/customer_service/billing...

Paying for your monthly bill with a credit card adds an administration fee of £1.50 to your monthly bill.

The option on the final screen to pay by monthly is blanked out ,but there own website says they do but
you have to pay £1.50 a month extra which i don't mind, because i hope to save on the 12 months half price offer moving from BE* unlimited.

thankd

david

Edited by dparr59 (Tue 30-Apr-13 04:06:53)

Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 30-Apr-13 09:21:07
Print Post

Re: Tried to sign up using monthly payment by Credit card

[re: dparr59] [link to this post]

Phone and line rental has always been direct debit only
Broadband on its own had the option

Edited by Oldjim (Tue 30-Apr-13 09:21:29)

Standard User undecidedadrian
(member) Tue 30-Apr-13 09:35:40
Print Post

[re: dparr59] [link to this post]

To be honest I would not use a recurring credit card charge.

These have absolutly no portection of any sort and if something goes wrong it can take an age to fix. With the credit card telling you it needs to be fixed with the retailer and they won't intervene.

Even if you change a credit card or cancel it these things can still be charged to your old account.

A direct debit is a whole lot better way of doing it with a lot more protection.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 30-Apr-13 10:42:06
Print Post

[re: undecidedadrian] [link to this post]

Actually, although I avoid them and use Direct Debits wherever possible, recurring payments can now be cancelled with the bank, although some banks have been slow to cotton on to this. This changed a couple of years ago. See here for lots of information, in particular note
You have a LEGAL RIGHT to have payments cancelled. Even if companies refuse, banks MUST cancel them for you."

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 30-Apr-13 13:28:13
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

This is even more clear
http://www.fsa.gov.uk/static/pubs/consumer_info/know...
Cancelling a regular card payment
When you give your credit or debit card details to a company and authorise them to take regular payments from your account, such as for a gym membership or magazine subscription, it is known as a ‘recurring transaction’ or ‘continuous payment authority’.
These are often confused with direct debits, but do not offer the same guarantee if the amount or date of the payment changes.
In most cases, regular payments can be cancelled by telling the company taking the payments. However, you have the right to cancel them directly with your bank or card issuer by telling it that you have stopped permission for the payments. Your bank or card issuer must then stop them – it has no right to insist that you agree this first with the company taking the payments.
Be aware, though, that you will still be responsible for paying any money that you owe.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Wed 01-May-13 13:55:05
Print Post

[re: Oldjim] [link to this post]

I had an issue in the past cancelling recurring payments I resolved it by telling the card company that I had officially gave them notice in wriiting I was no longer authorising the payments and if they chose to carry on authorising the payments they were personally liable for the money not myself. 3 days later they cancelled it after previously insisting I contact a company that wasnt playing ball.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012
Standard User johnjburness
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 01-May-13 15:27:09
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
I had an issue in the past cancelling recurring payments I resolved it by telling the card company that I had officially gave them notice in wriiting I was no longer authorising the payments and if they chose to carry on authorising the payments they were personally liable for the money not myself. 3 days later they cancelled it after previously insisting I contact a company that wasnt playing ball.

Well done!!

I've never understood how the Credit Card Companies, where you have NEVER authorised Continuous Payments, will always accept the word of the offending Retailer.

Furthermore, even where you have agreed, you didn't agree to it "in perpetuity" but ONLY as long as you've agreed to the Service (which you are legally entitled to cancel).

Regards,
John
  Print Thread

Jump to