User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User DRW
(committed) Wed 01-May-13 09:32:48
Print Post

Router/Modem off/on when away for several days

[link to this post]

What is the advice re powering off the FTTC Modem and routers when the house is empty for several days.

My preference is to switch it all off and disconnect the cables from the faceplate and mains just in case of a thunder strike. Does this affect the connection speed on reconnection??

Comments please
Standard User greenglide
(experienced) Wed 01-May-13 10:18:52
Print Post

Re: Router/Modem off/on when away for several days

[re: DRW] [link to this post]

There are differing opinions over this one.

If you power off the router it makes absolutely no difference as the FTTC CAB knows nothing about this device.

The CAB does know about the modem but powering off for several days and then powering it back on will be fine. Other posters will almost certainly say "you should never, ever, world without end, switch it off" but in practice it makes no difference it you do a clean power off and power on several days later.

With the modem powered off you can unplug anything you like.

In practice if there is a lightning strike it will take out more than your VDSL modem whether it is connected or not!

Do you have a high incidence of lighting strikes in you area - long run of telephone lines on poles?

BT Infinity 2 - IP profile 77 / 20 - super fast!
Previously BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload but then moved house - 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
Standard User DRW
(committed) Wed 01-May-13 10:40:41
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

We had a lightning strike in 1984 - it took out the burglar alarm PIR sensor - however that was before the days of internet and connections to phone lines. People who saw the strike saw the lightening go along the telephone cable.

We get quite a number of thunderstorms in Spring and Summer so all "valuable or sensitive kit" is disconnected from the mains ie plugs removed, not just power off. If we go away for a few days. However one is at risk regardless of how long you go away for.

Most of our lightning is cloud to cloud rather cloud to ground so I assume less dangerous

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User hypertony
(committed) Wed 01-May-13 11:25:30
Print Post

But it still does happen when you're not away... so you can't win in both ways.

Yes, you could be at home when it happens and you could unplug it before it happens. But what if you've gone shopping or down the street and this happens?

So basically, you can't do much - I just leave mine online - saves time/hassle.

- Tony Sutton
- Check out my Ford Focus ST170 site | View my Car's Dashcam Videos
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 01-May-13 11:39:30
Print Post

I would turn them off. I do. And I unplug them from the mains. Gives all sorts of non-industrial strength components a break and protects against mains surges.

In my younger days I also used to disconnect everything, TV, radio etc. from the mains as well, as you describe. Fridges & freezers excepted of course. And not the phone from the line.

These days I'm far too lazy to do all that. But I wouldn't think you were daft at all.

Speed on reconnection could be slightly better or worse than now, but that is normal for any reconnection. Best for speed is to restart the modem well inside daylight hours.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User professor973
(committed) Wed 01-May-13 16:40:40
Print Post

Maximum reliability is obtained when things are left running. Each time they warm up or cool down, circuit boards expand or contract. Over time, this can increase the likelihood of failure. Also, many media devices are meant to be kept running to catch software updates etc.

The difference between genius and stupidity is; genius has its limits.
http://www.pingtest.net/result/68380009.png
Standard User greenglide
(experienced) Wed 01-May-13 16:45:27
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

That is what is always believed as well.

Devices that are meant to be left on should be. Switching off for a period of days always seemed ok though.

These days there are more devices to be left on but, with electricity being more expensive, global warming etc it is more relevant.

BT Infinity 2 - IP profile 77 / 20 - super fast!
Previously BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload but then moved house - 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
(committed) Wed 01-May-13 16:49:18
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

Only if you fall for the con that the planet has warmed for the last 15 years, or for that matter, that we were in any way responsible when it did. (Slap on wrist for Off Topic post!)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 01-May-13 17:14:34
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

Leaving hardware switched on if away for a fortnight just because there might be a firmware update seems stupid.

Any semi decent upgrade system would have the device checking it had access to internet and looking for any update as soon as you switched it back on.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(committed) Wed 01-May-13 18:34:10
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Tell that to Sky. Most of their ideas are designed to download overnight, quite apart from them insisting their boxes should stay powered and connected to a phone line, with the bonus being sprogs slowing your broadband.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to