User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Elkin
(learned) Thu 02-May-13 15:23:18
Print Post

Fibre: Live Today...slight issues..

[link to this post]

Hi

Gone live with Plusnet Unlimited Fibre today...and would like some advice if possible?

Engineer arrived, sorted out the faceplate, plugged everything in...

Problem 1:
- 'red' cable' provided faulty. no problem, i have numerous ethernet cables... Replaced from my own batch, working.

After waiting around 30mins i thought id give it a whirl via ethernet.

Problem 2:
- Port 1 and Port 2 on the NEW router dont work (well, P1 worked for a couple of mins then died). Hmm.

Tested internet from Netbook to Port 3, seemed to be working. Moved router, and modem to 'new home'. all came back online ok (of course ive probably fluffed up the training and likely to lose some speed for now...if someone could clarify?)

Unplugged Netbook, and connected powerline adapter to Port 3...

Problem 3:
- Tried to VNC from Netbook (downstairs, on Powerline) to Desktop (upstairs, on Powerline) but wouldnt connect (no problem with O2 TG585v7 before transfer) RESOLVED

Checked the firewall on member centre and its set to off. Applied a static IP to the desktop...even tried adding the VNC in G&A Sharing (even though i didnt need to on the old O2 router) - no joy frown

Download test.... test files worked ok, came at 4.4 (still in training atm)

Problem 4:
- Natcheck failure with a port which i've replicated in G&A Sharing from my old O2 router for the BitTorrent protocol.
RESOLVED

Cant test xbox (as i hard wire it) as ive no spare working port atm. :-/

Would appreciate some feedback from the PlusNet troops, or the local resident boffins. Thanks. :'(

-------------
O2 Standard (Legacy Product)
Ex-Vivaciti:8meg - to save some coin
Ex-ntl:10meg - Moved to a non NTL area frown
-------------

Edited by Elkin (Thu 02-May-13 18:15:53)

ISP Representative chrisparr
(isp) Thu 02-May-13 17:32:01
Print Post

Re: Fibre: Live Today...slight issues..

[re: Elkin] [link to this post]

Can you PM your username over and I'll get one of the team to take a look into this for you and see what's going on tomorrow.

Chris Parr
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 02-May-13 17:36:57
Print Post

Have you tried a Factory reset on the router?

(What's this "new home" bit about? I know it shouldn't be anything to do with the problem but sounds very odd).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 02-May-13 17:38:20)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Elkin
(learned) Thu 02-May-13 18:08:09
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks RobertoS - that seems to have kicked the Nat and VNC issue. \o/
When i said moved home, i meant, moved to a different set of power sockets to where the engineer just plugged them in. Nothing dodgy smile

I guess the broken ports bit is up to the PlusNet guys..

-------------
Ex-O2 Standard Legacy Product (moved to fibre)
-------------

Edited by Elkin (Thu 02-May-13 18:12:12)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 02-May-13 19:20:28
Print Post

smile
Great.

Re "training", there is no such thing really on FTTC. The DLM is in the cabinet DSLAM and kicks in normally during Day 2. Earlier if there is serious instability, but what you've done doesn't sound like it would look like that. It doesn't see the router, just the modem connection.

BT Wholesale still insist there is a 10-day settling in period, but that is even more farcical on FTTC than on ADSLx. The two settings that the 10 days results in don't exist for fibre; the IP profile it calculates is ongoing, as always, and depends on the modem sync; and they have no control over the modem sync, noise margin or anything.

Technically they can pass one of three stability settings on from the ISP to the Openreach DLM, but so far as I know no ISP uses that facility.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Elkin
(learned) Fri 03-May-13 16:39:27
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks RobertoS. Clears it up nicely smile

As two of my ports are not working, and I'll assume for now that they wont just send me a new one (not on day 2 of being with them!) would I be ok with something like this?

TP-Link TL-WR720N

Says it has a WAN port (presumably this would connect to the BT modem?) leaving me with two working ports (one direct to xbox & one to the powerline device) or would I need to get something with 3+ actual ethernet ports like the next model up:

TP-Link TL-WR740N

As you can see, i don't exactly want something top of the range - 2 ports for personal use are a must, and WiFi only has to go up to the room directly above to the kindle / android tablet) .

-------------
-------------
ISP Representative chrisparr
(isp) Fri 03-May-13 16:44:23
Print Post

Sorry, I meant to reply to your PM this morning but got distracted elsewhere. If 2 of the ports aren't working Im happy to sort out a replacement, I'll get that ordered now for you so even if you do get your own router you'll have our one as a replacement.

Chris Parr
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User Elkin
(learned) Fri 03-May-13 17:56:40
Print Post

[re: chrisparr] [link to this post]

Thanks Chris - that's great. \o/ Happy to use the PlusNet router if the ports work laugh

-------------
-------------
Standard User Elkin
(learned) Mon 13-May-13 14:17:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by Elkin:
Thanks Chris - that's great. \o/ Happy to use the PlusNet router if the ports work laugh

Just like to thank Chris for his assistance. New router has arrived, plugged in and working smoothly.

<-- Happy customer.

-------------
-------------
  Print Thread

Jump to