User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User blfamily
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 05-May-13 10:18:46
Print Post

PN question's

[link to this post]

If I take out the Unlimited Broadband & calls package, can I change to fibre within the 12mth contract?

PN quote 11mb download, but on O2 legacy I was hitting 13.5mb. I take it I will get around the same?

As I have just started streaming (via a blueray player) to the TV will I notice any difference in quality from the 15.2mb download I am getting now from the LLU reseller I currently use (24mb downlaod via O2W).

Finally if I go for the mid range fibre package (now or in the future) can I upgrade to unlimited during the 18mth contract (if for instance I find I am hitting my d/l limit)?

Steve
looking for a real ISP

Edited by blfamily (Sun 05-May-13 11:08:48)

Standard User LEEEVANS69
(learned) Sun 05-May-13 12:06:51
Print Post

Re: PN question's

[re: blfamily] [link to this post]

I'm watching the BTCC via the web and that is only 1.5 Mbps my 02 bb is

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/13676...
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 05-May-13 12:14:11
Print Post

[re: LEEEVANS69] [link to this post]

I was streaming Drive from Netflix in Super HD and that was 7Mbps

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 05-May-13 12:29:16
Print Post

In terms of the streaming any connection able to sustain 5.5 Mbps should manage to meet the HD streaming requirements for any of the commercial services.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 05-May-13 12:37:13
Print Post

Q1) Yes, but it would start a new 18 months. You might also find the system charges you the full (Plusnet) FTTC installation charge as you won't be a new signup for the phone. I could be totally wrong on that, and I would also expect a "negotiation" to have an acceptable result even if I'm right.

Q2 & Q3) Something doesn't look right about those figures, unless you have a 3dB noise margin via the reseller. The BT Wholesale DLM on the Plusnet connection defaults to 6dB like O2 did, but these days automatically drops to 3dB if it considers the line is stable enough. You can't get it fixed at 3dB.

Having said that, the 11Mbps will be far less than you get. There's no reason, unless line conditions change, that you should get the 13.5Mbp or more.

Q4) Again, yes you can upgrade mid-contract, but it restarts the 18 months. As the difference between the two FTTC packages is only £2.50pm, and the Essentials Fibre package has P2P throttling in the evenings, I'd go for Unlimited at Day 1. Throttling applies but even more so on the ADSLx Essentials. Streaming is not throttled - I assume your Blueray streaming really is live streaming.

Note that upgrades take place on your billing date, so an upgrade due to heavy use mid-period doesn't get you off the hook.

If you aren't signing up for fibre to start with because you are worried about the 18-month term, the only reason I think you should have for that is if you may be moving house in the period. At worst, the exit charges are much lower than the ongoing ones.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
ISP Representative bpullen
(isp) Wed 08-May-13 15:06:33
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
You might also find the system charges you the full (Plusnet) FTTC installation charge as you won't be a new signup for the phone. I could be totally wrong on that...

You are wink

We don't charge for fibre installation if you already have your phone service with us. This is lifted from our website:

An engineer visit is required to install Plusnet Fibre. This costs £50 for new customers and £25 for existing customers. However, if you add one of our phone packages to your order or already have our phone service you'll get activation included.

Q4) Again, yes you can upgrade mid-contract, but it restarts the 18 months.

Moving from Essentials Fibre to Unlimited fibre /doesn't/ restart the 18 month contract.

Note that upgrades take place on your billing date...

When moving from copper to fibre the account change happens on the morning of your install.

Regards,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Digital Care

Service Status :: RSS :: Email
http://twitter.com/plusnet
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 08-May-13 16:23:28
Print Post

[re: bpullen] [link to this post]

Not one of my best posts then. However:-
In reply to a post by bpullen:
When moving from copper to fibre the account change happens on the morning of your install.
Does that start a new 18 month term? Also what happens to the phone contract if that is so?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
ISP Representative bpullen
(isp) Thu 09-May-13 11:43:50
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yes, that would start a new 18 month term. The phone contract remains as-is I believe.

Rgds,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Digital Care

Service Status :: RSS :: Email
http://twitter.com/plusnet
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
  Print Thread

Jump to