User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User amazoph
(newbie) Thu 09-May-13 17:53:42
Print Post

DLM, SNR margin adjusts etc.

[link to this post]

Been lurking here for some time, just registered as I have some questions about SNR margins and Plusnet's DLM on ADSL.

I previously was with BE up til March and got fairly good speeds with them - up to about 19Mbit down and 2.1Mbit up with SNR of 3-6dB.

Having been on Plusnet for over a month now with the line being stable at 16.5Mbit down on a 6dB profile, I asked Plusnet if they could adjust this to 3dB but was told this was not possible... but I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere of people getting 3dB profiles on Plusnet. Apparently this had something to do with the DLM moving them after a period of stability.

Does anyone know anything about this?
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Thu 09-May-13 18:27:48
Print Post

Re: DLM, SNR margin adjusts etc.

[re: amazoph] [link to this post]

From what ive read on here the BT DLM on 21cn connections can ajust to as low as 3db, also fastpath can be appied manually (so overriding DLM) the isp should be able to do this (Both)for you , I Think it's probably a case of getting to speak with the right person

Edited by tommy45 (Thu 09-May-13 18:29:00)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 09-May-13 18:33:13
Print Post

[re: amazoph] [link to this post]

Unfortunately it's true.

The DLM is BT Wholesale's, and ISPs have no direct control over it. The default is 6dB, and given a period of high stability it drops automatically to 3dB. I don't know how stable it has to be, sorry.

You can get routers where you can adjust it yourself. Common ones you should be able to pick up cheaply are the Netgear 834GT (any version) and the 834Gv4. You have to be careful when "tweaking" in that way on BT Wholesale DLM, as too many reconnections in a short period can screw you up for weeks. Three of four in a hour is as much as I'd try.

More information on Netgear tweaking. I advise the DMT dropdown menus (where once you create a setting it remembers it in the menu) or CLI methods. The DGTeam method does allow the setting to be retained through a router power-cycle, but I didn't like it.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Thu 09-May-13 18:46:09
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I'm fairly sure that isp's do have a fair bit of control over a 21cn connection i formed this opinion from what i 've been told by several indipendant isp's Things like fast path to be enabled permantly, dlm can be switched off too , only going by what i've been told , but it would not suprise me if it was the truth, because it's about time BT gave the isp control
As for tweaking the SNR (ds only) doesnt DLM set/cap the max attainable rate to the target snr it has set? if so reducing the margin wont vield a higher sync rate

oh, and here's some thing that backs up my opinion Rev K's blog (AAISP) So if those options are available to AAISP then those same options will be available to all the other ISP's too, It's possible that a lot of the support staff are not aware that they can make changes to the line config

Edited by tommy45 (Thu 09-May-13 19:41:06)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 09-May-13 19:44:01
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

No the BTw DLM auto decides the Target NM and Interleaving. The most the ISP can do is set a floor for the Target NM, thereby capping the sync.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Fri 10-May-13 06:34:21
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

So BT have finally listened to us and soon (December I think) we will have the controls to actually make changes to the settings and turn off the DLM on lines. We aim to expose the settings on the control pages so that customers can also make changes
And he runs an ISP So should know what they can and cannot do

And as they can disable DLM then they would be able to make other changes also on a line with it switched off , I already was aware about them being able to disable dlm having been told this by more than 1 isp,

Edited by tommy45 (Fri 10-May-13 06:38:53)

Standard User wanapoo
(committed) Fri 10-May-13 07:07:57
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

In June 2012, BT Wholesale gave all ISP's the ability to login to BTW.com website and manually override ADSL2+ broadband profile connections.

The ISP rep/operator has 6 options to set, rateband, interleaving, SNR for both upstream and downstream. All changes take effect immediately with no waiting period like the previous 72Hrs or starting 10 Day training periods.

ADSL MAX is still the same, ISP's can only press reset to start a 10 day training period.

Unfortuneately, around 90% of Plusnet staff dont know this.
frown

Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Fri 10-May-13 08:46:20
Print Post

[re: wanapoo] [link to this post]

I'd suspect way less than 10% of Plusnet staff have the login/password for the BT Wholesale system to be able to access to things like that.

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001 - not sure for how much longer
  Print Thread

Jump to