I have finally made the jump over to PN. and have an install date coming up in the next week or so.
I do however have a couple of questios that either the TBB community or PN support reps could help me with.
1) just to confirm, with a new FTTC installs there is a modem which is provided to customers by BT Openreach
and then there is a Second router which is provided by Plusnet? - Correct?
- I know the router from PN is the Technicolor TG582n
- What I would like to know more about is the BT Openreach Modem? (Make/Model/Chipset/Ports/dimensions/power-consumption/etc.)
2) The actual Installation/Setup.
I know there is plenty of information on the PN community portal/PN forum on this side of things but I have a couple of questions I would like to get a handle on before the install date arrives.
- I have asked (during the PN sign-up stage) for the "Fibre Extension kit" which, I believe is up to 30m in length? I think I also read somewhere that the engineer can go through a wall if necessary to customize the locations and ways in which I can have my modem/router installed
- Am I correct in this so far?
3) What common pitfalls have others had to deal with during the install of their Fibre service regarding the locations of their devices/power outlets?
- What I mean by this is my Main PC Server is in the back office downstairs but the master phone socket is in the living room (in the room next door) which is partially obscured/covered by a rather large (and heavy) Leather sofa.
- Will the engineer help me to plan what goes where?
- Can the PN Router support media streaming to my IPTV via Ethernet cable?
- Can I have an external HDD storage device plugged directly into the PN Routers USB2 port?
I am thinking of putting the BT Openreach Modem in the living room (possibly wall-mounted) and then having an extension run through into the next room where my office is located and placing the Plusnet router somewhere in there?
4) How long do the engineers have to install/setup/test for each of their appointment slots on average (approx)
- Do they help to move furniture, if I specifically ask fr the modem to be located in a certain spot and also to run the extension kit?
5) Failing any issues regarding the location of the modem/router can the engineer move my Master Socket instead?
- This would be by far the simplest of ways to overcome most of my concerns and just have the Master Socket moved into my back office which, is not even 10m away from the current location of the master Socket.
If this is possible and the engineer is willing to move the master phone socket will I have to ask for prior consent off either Openreach/Plusnet (or both) in advance of the engineers visit?
Sorry for such a large post but these are all valid concerns and question which I have to ask and sort our asap.
Plusnet Waiting for FTTC Install
Edited by majika2007 (Thu 09-May-13 18:03:17)