User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Pyrii
(learned) Sun 12-May-13 02:40:59
Print Post

Plusnet no longer do Fibre in my area

[link to this post]

I checked last week because I was reviewing my options and wanted to check again today and now Plusnet's website tells me that I can't get Fibre.

How does that work? Available one day, gone the next. Is this just an error with BT's database or something?

I'm waiting to get my MAC from BE, but I can only get it over-the-phone during "Working Hours", so I'll try again on Monday.
Standard User Pyrii
(learned) Sun 12-May-13 03:03:37
Print Post

Re: Plusnet no longer do Fibre in my area

[re: Pyrii] [link to this post]

I just checked on BT Infinity's site and they say there that I can get Fibre. So I'm confused now.
Standard User NormanB
(experienced) Sun 12-May-13 06:08:07
Print Post

Try the bt wholesale checker at https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 12-May-13 06:50:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by Pyrii:
How does that work? Available one day, gone the next. Is this just an error with BT's database or something?

The other possibility is that you have been very unlucky and the cabinet has just filled up, but do the BT wholesale check first.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User Pyrii
(learned) Sun 12-May-13 07:13:13
Print Post

[re: NormanB] [link to this post]

Thanks for the link:
WBC FTTC Up to 76.9 Up to 20 -- Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 9 -- 7 to 10.5 Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 9 Up to 1 7 to 10.5 Available
ADSL Max Up to 5.5 -- 4.5 to 8 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Other Offerings
Fibre Multicast -- -- -- Available

I just rechecked on the plusnet website and it's finally offering me fibre again.
Estimated download speed:
77Mb
Estimated upload speed:
20Mb

Not bad considering at worst case (Tracing a path between BT manholes) I'm 175m to the cabinet.

I still need to get my MAC from BE and ask Plus.net some questions about the install and features

Edited by Pyrii (Sun 12-May-13 08:30:57)

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 12-May-13 09:22:07
Print Post

I'm 175m to the cabinet.

Nice and close, but I would wager that the line goes straight out the end of your close, and doesn't dogleg right half way down.

Standard User Pyrii
(learned) Sun 12-May-13 09:28:33
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
I'm 175m to the cabinet.

Nice and close, but I would wager that the line goes straight out the end of your close, and doesn't dogleg right half way down.

One of the other houses had to have their under-road wire replaced from the manhole. So I could see where the lines were coming in and heading out while I watched him redo the wires for the upper-end of the street. (I didn't have much else to do as my internet was out due to the re-wiring)

Apparently the end of the multi-line cable from the cabinet hadn't been terminated correctly so he had to re-splice the upper end of the street. But now my line quality has dropped since then :/

Edited by Pyrii (Sun 12-May-13 09:33:16)

Standard User ultra
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 12-May-13 10:05:43
Print Post

Makes me wonder if Openreach quietly gives BT Broadband "the nod" when somewhere is enabled.

Have you been watching out for fibre to go live locally?

I asked an Openreach engineer in the last few days and he pointed out the 15-20 existing connections that were in the cabinet, so certainly there are some fibre users, but which ISP are they using? The checkers say different things at present... Zen says "Fibre Optic Broadband is scheduled to be available to order on this line by 30/06/2013.", BT Infinity says "Fibre optic broadband is estimated to be in your area between May 2013 and June 2013."

photo (engineer holding the wires going from fibre patch panel {right-most block} to the POTS wiring going out to homes/shops).

---

If you run a business, have a second ISP and backup web hosting...
Standard User Pyrii
(learned) Sun 12-May-13 16:44:28
Print Post

[re: ultra] [link to this post]

Fibre went live last year in about December I think. But with BE being sold off and being fed up with being connected to a faulty router at the exchange they refuse to fix, while paying £18pm for the privilege, I'm looking to move away. But Plusnet's pricey install fees and other hidden charges are putting me off
Standard User LEEEVANS69
(learned) Sun 12-May-13 17:36:54
Print Post

If you get the phone too it's free installation.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to