User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Pyrii
(learned) Mon 13-May-13 14:56:09
Print Post

Questions and mixed answers

[link to this post]

I just tried chatting to the web chat people on the website and got some answers and was left confused on some things to which the response was to cut me off ("David" closed the chat).

My main worry is that if I get Unlimited Fibre and have to move within the contract period, but will be taking broadband with me, will I ONLY have to pay £65 for the move and to be set up at the new home, or are there other fees?

"David" mentioned that it would be free if I stayed with Plusnet for 12 months after the move, that would tend to be my intention, as long as Fibre is available at the new location.

I also asked if there were any offers they could provide for Broadband-only products because the high upfront fees were putting me off and wondered if there was something they could do to pull me off the fence, I've been told I need to call their sales team, which I'm unsure about (I'm shy, sorry, not good at making myself understood over the phone)

Lastly I wanted to know a few things about the engineer install including having an extension put in and whether they would finally put in a new master socket as we have a really old, decaying thing that's causing lots of noise and problems. I'm also hoping the extension will be filtered so that extra noise won't be introduced or speeds reduced for having the extension. "David" closed the chat before I could ask.

Some answers I did get for those that are like me, wanting to know:

Plusnet don't do IPv6, they have trialled it but have no plans to roll it out any time soon. (Booo)

That was all I could confirm o_O
Standard User Spasch
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 13-May-13 15:25:54
Print Post

Re: Questions and mixed answers

[re: Pyrii] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pyrii:
Lastly I wanted to know a few things about the engineer install including having an extension put in and whether they would finally put in a new master socket as we have a really old, decaying thing that's causing lots of noise and problems. I'm also hoping the extension will be filtered so that extra noise won't be introduced or speeds reduced for having the extension. "David" closed the chat before I could ask.

Some answers I did get for those that are like me, wanting to know:

Plusnet don't do IPv6, they have trialled it but have no plans to roll it out any time soon. (Booo)

That was all I could confirm o_O
A new master is almost always fitted. The new one removes the requirement for a dangly filter as it has a dedicated port for the FTTC and one for the phone. Your extension will be reconnected to the phone side.

If you want the FTTC modem to live by the extension, then you need to ensure that when you order you specify that you want the 'Data Extension Kit'. It may be there by default, but specifying that you want it should ensure it's added to the order (no extra cost).
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 13-May-13 15:32:25
Print Post

[re: Spasch] [link to this post]

http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/faceplate/

That is what should be installed, the full modern style of master socket.

Believe current best practice has any DATA extensions installed via the A/B IDC shown at http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/faceplate/images/ab-dat... that are part of the filtered faceplate, but many probably still use a cable that already has a suitable plug for the data socket (top one of the two)

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk

Edited by MrSaffron (Mon 13-May-13 16:37:58)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 13-May-13 16:13:15
Print Post

Re: Questions and mixed answers *DELETED*

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Post deleted by XRaySpeX
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 13-May-13 16:38:17
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Added the word DATA to post to be clear

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 13-May-13 17:14:36
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

An A&B connection would still be the "raw" signal, so in that sense such an extension would not be DATA only and a phone could still be used on that extension with preferably a filtered faceplate on the extension socket. The same would be true if an extension connection was made to the xDSL socket on the front of the master NTE5 filtered faceplate.

Sorry to be pedantic smile but perhaps a better normally used description would be an UNFILTERED extension as opposed to a filtered voice extension - the impression might be given that a "DATA extension" can only be used for xDSL only - although with VDSL it probably is preferable?
Standard User Pyrii
(learned) Mon 13-May-13 17:57:18
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

My worry is that the extension might introduce extra noise on the line. The opposing problem is that there's no power next to the master socket so I have to have 2 leads (power and Ethernet) running down the stairs to power the Router (Billion 7800N) and the phone base unit.
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 13-May-13 18:26:40
Print Post

[re: Pyrii] [link to this post]

Ethernet probably would be the best solution and keep the modem as close as possible to the NTE5, if that is practical...
  Print Thread

Jump to