User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User narz
(member) Tue 14-May-13 10:42:43
Print Post

Few Qs, negatives of getting both phone and fibre?

[link to this post]

From PlusNet > Bethere > O2 and now Mac code to hand and ready to move to PlusNet again (Unlimited Fibre)

Trying my best to keep phone line with BT, but the cost saving is luring me (3months half price + no activation fee, £80!)

1) Can anyone explain what I should prepare myself for when it comes time to move AND keep my existing BT number, down time, activation fee, loss of number etc

2) I can definitely keep my existing number when leaving PlusNet aswell? any activation fees if moving back to BT?

3) Has anyone successfully begged and pleaded to remove the activation fee from their Unlimited Fibre only product?

4) Early termination fee, I read on this forum, this was NOT charged at full rate per month rather something like £5.75. Is this still the case?

I had a quick gander at their T&C's and found:

"If you choose to end your Plusnet Fibre service within the minimum period of 18 months, you will have to pay a termination charge by way of compensation to us for ending your service early. This charge will be calculated by multiplying the number of months remaining in your minimum term by a monthly early termination charge, as set out in the price guide. This charge will not be subject to VAT"

http://www.plus.net/info2/legal/index.html

Sorry alot of questions, appreciate any advice cheers
Standard User narz
(member) Tue 14-May-13 11:15:26
Print Post

Re: Few Qs, negatives of getting both phone and fibre?

[re: narz] [link to this post]

Ok found the answer to Q4)

Fibre Early Termination Charges

6. The Plusnet Fibre service is subject to a minimum period of 18 months. The following monthly early termination charges apply for customers choosing to end their Plusnet Fibre service within the 18 month minimum period.
Table 13
Product Monthly Early Termination Charge
Plusnet Essentials Fibre £5.25
Plusnet Unlimited Fibre £5.75
Plusnet Value Fibre £4.25 (£4 if you signed up before 14/08/2012)
Plusnet Extra Fibre £5.50

http://www.plus.net/info2/legal/price_guide.html
Standard User NormanB
(experienced) Tue 14-May-13 11:31:19
Print Post

I've recently moved to PN as well. This was my experience.
1. Just the time it took the engineer to fit the new NTE and test. ADSL 30mins, Tele - no interruption.
2. Interesting question. I looked at the BT web site and found. "Most customers get connection at no extra cost. Some customers may have to pay a connection fee of £40 (online special offer, normally £130) but we'll let you know once you start your order and add the special offer automatically. "
3. No.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User narz
(member) Tue 14-May-13 11:58:16
Print Post

[re: NormanB] [link to this post]

Great thanks.

I am just going to look for some more reassurance on point 2. Don't want to risk losing my landline number which I had for over 20 years!
Standard User NuttyMucker
(member) Tue 14-May-13 13:02:28
Print Post

I changed to PN fibre last year and had a BT number. I retained my number and pay PN the line rental. There were no complications whatsoever.

Not sure if this helps

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 14-May-13 13:15:26
Print Post

I decided to keep my phone line with BT, as I consider their service/fault-handling for phones impeccable. Every other provider seems to have occasional trouble in that respect.

I looked on the installation charge as a one-off insurance premium smile. There was no half-price deal at the time I joined.

Like you, I didn't want to take even the smallest risk about the number, or problems if/when leaving Plusnet. My final decision was also between PN and BT, and 15 months later I'm still sure I made the right decision. I upgraded to the latest unlimited product this January, (11 months of the 18 elapsed), and happily restarted the 18 month minimum term.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 14-May-13 17:53:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by narz:
I am just going to look for some more reassurance on point 2. Don't want to risk losing my landline number which I had for over 20 years!

If you've had your number with BT for 20 years and it has never been transferred to or from anyone else, I would say there is no risk of losing it if you move it to Plusnet. Like RobertoS I was a bit nervous of moving my landline to Plusnet, but on the one occasion I have had a line fault, Plusnet's handling of it, including the liaison with Openreach, was faultless and it would not have been resolved any more quickly had I been with BT. Having said that, BT does offer facilities that Plusnet does not, such as free diversion to a mobile during a line fault and online tracking of the fault status. In the latter case, with Plusnet this is limited to the ticketing system, although I was kept informed during the fault, including text messages.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST

Edited by kasg (Tue 14-May-13 17:54:36)

Standard User T_Bag
(newbie) Tue 14-May-13 18:36:33
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I decided to keep my phone line with BT, as I consider their service/fault-handling for phones impeccable. Every other provider seems to have occasional trouble in that respect.

I looked on the installation charge as a one-off insurance premium .

I did the same. Been with BT for very long, and during that time I've changed a few ISPs, and those changes have been just plain painless. Gives me the freedom to change the ISP as and when I desire, without worrying about the migration of my voice line.
  Print Thread

Jump to