User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 18-May-13 21:39:58
Print Post

Data Retention?

[link to this post]

So I was surprised to read about the Three network and their data retention policy. What is Plusnet's policy on data retention? What do they keep and how long do they keep it for? tongue
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 18-May-13 23:47:02
Print Post

Re: Data Retention?

[re: Spud2003] [link to this post]

I don't believe 3's statement. ISPs are required by law to reveal who was using a particular IP at a certain time upon Court Order.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC - BQM
Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 19-May-13 00:19:38
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Yes, I'd forgotten about the Data Retention (EC Directive) Regulations 2009.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ultra
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 19-May-13 00:20:25
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
I don't believe 3's statement. ISPs are required by law to reveal who was using a particular IP at a certain time upon Court Order.

Understand they may be required, but if X buys a second hand dongle on Ebay from Y (from Z from a shop in their area, sold to the shop by A, who was given it by B at work) how would Three know who 'X' is.

SIMs with 3 GB of data pre-loaded are sold on Ebay and it means that even though Three may have the IP address and 'mobile number' they are still no closer to identifying 'X'. Not sure how easy it would be to determine the IMEI (?) number and which property the device was being used in, either.

---

If you run a business, have a second ISP and backup web hosting...
ISP Representative chrisparr
(isp) Mon 20-May-13 08:40:49
Print Post

[re: Spud2003] [link to this post]

http://www.plus.net/support/service/policies/data_re...

Chris Parr
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 20-May-13 11:55:11
Print Post

[re: ultra] [link to this post]

That's a matter for the investigative authorities to trace and does not nullify the legal requirement on the ISP to keep the necessary identification data.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC - BQM
  Print Thread

Jump to