User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User davetel
(newbie) Thu 23-May-13 18:45:56
Print Post

o2 to plusnet

[link to this post]

I have a long line 4.1km, and BT/PN put my speeds at 1-3meg av 2. If i had a low thruput and or sync how would I convince anyone at PN that my line can take more? When I spoke to PN Sales a few times and rang tech once, both insisted my line max would be 3. I say this as even with o2 when there was prob 2 yrs ago although they new my speeds and had my router screenshots and TBB speedtest, they said they could not report a fault as my sync- at that time 1.2meg t/put 60kbps 60!!!- sync was above the FTR! . It got fixed when the phone stopped and BT whom I rent line from, moved the line in Exch. stats as of now.

Uptime: 9 days, 9:30:18
DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A
Channel mode: Interleave
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,168 / 6,403
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 969 / 5,884
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 19.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 31.5 / 54.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 7.0 / 4.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / BDCM
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 23-May-13 18:59:08
Print Post

Re: o2 to plusnet

[re: davetel] [link to this post]

Line is syncing at 5.8 Mbps.
So what is the problem?

Is that you are thinking of moving to Plusnet and the checker suggests just 1 to 3 Meg?

In which case don't worry the attenuation will not change, so the speeds will be in the 4.5 to 5.8 Meg region that you get now, unless the DLM systems decide the line is unstable.

People used to complain the BT estimates were often too high, and not complaining they are too low. This is the joy of an estimate, versus actual real world performance data from a live modem.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User davetel
(newbie) Thu 23-May-13 19:17:02
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Line is syncing at 5.8 Mbps.
So what is the problem?
Is that you are thinking of moving to Plusnet and the checker suggests just 1 to 3 Meg?
In which case don't worry the attenuation will not change

Only that when I did have an issue with low thruput for 2 weeks, it only got resolved when the phone line went dead, so BT from whom I rent (and still do) moved my line at Exch.

Speed estimates only put me at 2. The question is how can one convince (I suppose) any ISP if there is a prob. when on a long line.

The only person I know to have had success was a work friend who was 120 mtrs line length and sync was 22120, but BTW/BTOR estimates were 1.2., so when he had a prob at sync of 2meg, o2 said that could not be right, and forced a fault through BTOR.

Edited by davetel (Thu 23-May-13 19:56:30)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 24-May-13 00:37:04
Print Post

Plusnet are pretty good at understanding your personal situation - especially if you involve their digital care team - the guys who monitor their own community forum... which is the best place to get help, at least 9-5 M-F.

They do watch this forum too, but not as regularly.
ISP Representative orbrey
(isp) Fri 24-May-13 13:36:11
Print Post

That sounds to me like you've moved pairs at the green box so have a different route to the exchange, but there's not been a line estimate done since the move. Could be wrong there, but you should get a similar speed to what you're seeing now on our service.

Either way, we'd certainly be prepared to push for a resolution if your speeds were down around the 2Mb mark.

Regards,

Matthew Taylor
Plusnet Customer Support
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User davetel
(newbie) Fri 24-May-13 14:55:54
Print Post

[re: orbrey] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by orbrey:
That sounds to me like you've moved pairs at the green box so have a different route to the exchange, but there's not been a line estimate done since the move.
Either way, we'd certainly be prepared to push for a resolution if your speeds were down around the 2Mb mark.

Line estimate has always been the same, even before the move. Good to know PN would be on the case if need be.
  Print Thread

Jump to