User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User rosspaul
(regular) Fri 24-May-13 15:24:52
Print Post

Just signed up

[link to this post]

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what my likely download speeds would be for p2p as they do have traffic priority. My estimated speed is 55Mb
I was going to go to BT Infinity but have just cancelled my order with them!

AOL/TheFreeDotNet/RedHotAnt/Ezesurf/Pipex/Madasafish/O2 Premium/transferring to BT Infinity

Edited by rosspaul (Fri 24-May-13 15:25:14)

Standard User narz
(member) Fri 24-May-13 18:41:23
Print Post

Re: Just signed up

[re: rosspaul] [link to this post]

From what I have read you should get full line speed unless you have other users on the network doing streaming and other tasks that take priority.

What made you cancel with BT out of interest?
Standard User jackburt0n
(newbie) Fri 24-May-13 20:36:55
Print Post

I also had a estimate of 55mb, Been actived just over a week and have had a high of 68 but averages out about 63 on the TB speed test. Sometimes it heads down to 40 or 50 early evening but not for too long. More than enough for me coming from a O2 connection of around 6meg.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User rosspaul
(regular) Sun 26-May-13 12:42:36
Print Post

[re: narz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by narz:
From what I have read you should get full line speed unless you have other users on the network doing streaming and other tasks that take priority.

What made you cancel with BT out of interest?

Price and there support is UK based and they answer the phones quick.
I'm still not 100% sure and am currently cancelling with PN and ordering Infinity again. PN's traffic management puts me off + plus I like BTfon

AOL/TheFreeDotNet/RedHotAnt/Ezesurf/Pipex/Madasafish/O2 Premium/transferring to BT Infinity
Standard User aks
(member) Sun 26-May-13 14:30:04
Print Post

I checked the traffic management situation for fibre unlimited, and understood it does not apply to the unlimited products.

---
Tony
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 26-May-13 14:46:44
Print Post

[re: aks] [link to this post]

Throttling doesn't apply, but prioritisation does. It shouldn't do any harm - and is a wise thing to do IMO.

But both throttling and prioritisation are forms of traffic management, so you can't just dismiss TM en-mass.
Standard User aks
(member) Sun 26-May-13 15:22:49
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Thanks for the clarification/reminder, which in fact I now recall reviewing before I signed up. I agree, prioritisation seems sensible, but hopefully doesn't have much impact in general.

---
Tony
  Print Thread

Jump to