User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User tecnospy
(learned) Sun 26-May-13 09:05:01
Print Post

High Pings

[link to this post]

Just recently moved across onto PlusNet from O2 and am experiencing very high pings and wondered if this is normal for a sunday morning? has been happening since at least 7am which you would like to think was a quiet time! have logged a ticket to see what they say
[IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/2732228566.png[/IMG]
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Sun 26-May-13 09:26:30
Print Post

Re: High Pings

[re: tecnospy] [link to this post]

Never mind the pings, your speed looks very low as well.

What are your sync speeds (up and down)?

Have you tried a reboot of the router? (don't forget to disconnect first)

Are you connected to the router wired or wireless?

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001 - not sure for how much longer

Edited by jelv (Sun 26-May-13 09:27:17)

Standard User tecnospy
(learned) Sun 26-May-13 10:14:29
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

My sync down/up is 448 / 16,877

you may say never mind the pings but in my experience high response times generally cause or happen at the same time as low speed, during the times the response times are low my speed is fine.

I'm using my TG582 in bridge mode so my connection is being handled by my firewall, I've dropped/reconnected it a couple of times now and have had the default gateway presented by the connection change a few times and on all three I've connected to I get the same problem.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 26-May-13 10:49:02
Print Post

What happens if you use the 582n normally?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User tecnospy
(learned) Mon 27-May-13 19:37:02
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I get the same high response times when using the brand new router as default, I've even tried a cisco router to no effect. The connection starts off fine and then the pings increase to the 1000's it then drops down for a while before creeping back up.

36hrs since logging the ticket, hopefully I might hear something tomorrow.
ISP Representative orbrey
(isp) Tue 28-May-13 14:48:56
Print Post

Hi there,

Sorry to hear that, doesn't look good at all. Did you raise the ticket through the faults wizard (http://faults.plus.net)? If not it'd definitely be worth running through that as there's a few tests we need before we can raise a fault to make sure it's not being caused by any equipment or wiring in your premises.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Matthew Taylor
Plusnet Customer Support
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User tecnospy
(learned) Tue 28-May-13 15:00:28
Print Post

[re: orbrey] [link to this post]

Yep raised it through the website (whether I did it right is another thing!) ticket ID is 70051780 if it helps

Funnily enough the pings have dropped back down to normal at the moment without any user intervention, I don't know whether they'll pick back up by this evening (sunday/monday they were high all day) so I'm not sure whether the problem will be able to be identified by support if it's not currently happening.
ISP Representative orbrey
(isp) Tue 28-May-13 15:26:10
Print Post

Hi,

That's fine, it went through the faults wizard and looks like everything was done correctly - our faults team should be picking it up soon for you, I doubt it'll be today I'm afraid but I'd be surprised if you didn't hear back tomorrow.

Have you seen anything similar before, or were the high pings constant until recently?

Regards,

Matthew Taylor
Plusnet Customer Support
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User tecnospy
(learned) Tue 28-May-13 22:02:08
Print Post

[re: orbrey] [link to this post]

I've had it similar in the past with O2 but had put it down to their service.

I've heard back today, along with a very pretty chart of my usage showing that my "high" upload of 120MB per hour was causing my poor download. I was running a vpn tunnel during the time as I was having problems at work, which may have increased the upload, just a shock that such little upload can cause problems with my download.

I have since discovered a help page that suggests I can get my upload speed uncapped, I've requested this in the hope that it will increase the tolerance, only time will tell.
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 28-May-13 23:38:34
Print Post

To get the maximum speed out of download, the lower network protocols need ACK packets to go upstream as fast as possible. However, it is easy to saturate the upstream with, say P2P uploads or (as you discovered) VPN. When upstream is saturated, the downstream stalls, awaiting timely ACK responses, so doesn't work anywhere near as well.

The high ping time is a similar consequence, because the outbound leg suffers in the same way if the rest of the upstream is saturated.

Increasing the speed will help, but if the program can saturate the new speed just as easily, then you'll have the same problem.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to