User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User blfamily
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 28-May-13 17:37:05
Print Post

Happy with the Plusnet service. Shame about OR

[link to this post]

OR turned up unannounced this morning at 10.15am. Thought they were meant to ring first?
Looked at my ADSL Nation face plate and wiring, said both were fine but he could run up a new extension cable which I requested.

Disconnected phone and plugged a tester in and went to the cab. 10 mins later comes back and proceeds to unplug my router & plug in the new BT box & PN router.

Then the fun begins. For almost 30 mins he try's to get the internet to connect, "authentication failure" was the error. He then decides to check the cab again - as he "has never seen anything like this before"... That is the last I saw of him!

I reboot the routers & even used a pin to reset the router. Things looked good, I had connection, then I didn't. Just after noon I phone PN and within 5 mins of being connected, I am up and running. Turns out that OR had not closed off the order so I wasn't connected!!!

Thumbs up to PN. Thumbs down to OR - still waiting for the cable to be fitted and the extension faceplate (even if it is the same as what I have on?) & still waiting to have the routers wall mounted - rather than being left on top of each other on the carpet.

Speed wise - bang on. been up to 72mb already http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/13697...

Fibre is pretty new in Rugby & in 7 mths of fibre installation this OR contractor has never fitted a PN router - I find that hard to believe!

Steve
Plusnet Fibre in less than 24hrs!
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 28-May-13 18:02:24
Print Post

Re: Happy with the Plusnet service. Shame about OR

[re: blfamily] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by blfamily:
& still waiting to have the routers wall mounted - rather than being left on top of each other on the carpet.

You may have a long wait. OR might wall-mount the modem if you badger them, I can't imagine they would even consider wall-mounting the Plusnet router. I did my own.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Tue 28-May-13 18:13:17
Print Post

They may argue that connecting the ISP's or customers router isn't part of their ship /installation if the BTOR modem gets a sync then it''s job done for a lot of em,

But yes they are supposed to i think Fix the modem to the wall if required ,But they will only fit the data extension kit if they have it with them, (and the order that you placed was received by BTOR from the ISP) if not then they won't fit one, Sounds to me that he couldn't get away fast enough, maybe they are on commission or get a bonus if they do so many FTTC installs per day ??? at £92.00 a pop it wouldn't surprise me

Edited by tommy45 (Tue 28-May-13 18:17:09)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User therioman
(knowledge is power) Tue 28-May-13 18:33:54
Print Post

In reply to a post by blfamily:
Fibre is pretty new in Rugby & in 7 mths of fibre installation this OR contractor has never fitted a PN router - I find that hard to believe!

I can't remember the exact numbers, but recent figures showed BT had by miles the majority of Fibre connected customers (probably because compared to the smaller players they can heavily (and do) push plus everyone thinks Infinity means fibre and fibre is from BT or virgin only.

Talk Talk had the next largest share, a mere fraction of what BT has, and everyone else, including PlusNet (as I believe they're not shown in the "BT Retail" figures) took some paltry amount between them, so to me it's entirely believable that they might not have seen any non BT Retail/infinity install.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Tue 28-May-13 18:48:45
Print Post

Turns out that OR had not closed off the order so I wasn't connected!!!

I'd suggest that was tosh. Fitted plenty of PN stuff, and had the EU connected before I left, hence before I closed the order.

On the other hand, if the installer had read the task notes, he'd have seen that all that was required was to do the cab jumper, fit the VDSL modem and any home wiring solution required. No managed install (ie connect router, and connect one device to demo as working.

Don't the instructions provided by Plusnet say 'check the two lights on the VDSL modem, check dialling tone is OK,. Then YOU connect the router, and wait' it might even suggest going to have a cup of tea whilst you wait for the connection to do it's thang.

So demerit to the OR guy, failed to read task notes, also failed to complete what he promised. But also suspect someone at PN being economical with the truth as to the reason for the lack of connection. Oh, and RTFM always. smile

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 28-May-13 19:03:56
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

What about an SSFP?

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Tue 28-May-13 20:54:59
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Kind of went without saying.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 28-May-13 21:23:06
Print Post

So one hasn't been fitted?

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Wed 29-May-13 06:39:38
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

So one hasn't been fitted?

Pass, it wasn't me that fitted his line, and the description is a little vague. ??

I thought your original reply to me was based on my rough explanation of what IS required to be done on a PN FTTC install, hence my 'the SSFP went without saying'.

Standard User blfamily
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 29-May-13 09:58:35
Print Post

No face plate fitted. The ADSL Nation one was accepted as being ok...

Steve
Plusnet Fibre!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to