User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RiffRaff
(knowledge is power) Tue 04-Jun-13 21:21:32
Print Post

Plusnet fibre and ethernet homeplugs. No problems?

[link to this post]

As per title really.

I've concluded that homeplugs may be the answer to my poor wireless reception, messy cables and networking needs.

I'm looking at Devolo's AVtriple+ dLAN 500 3-Port HomePlug Starter Kit and am on Plusnet Unlimited Fibre.

Anyone using them on Plusnet fibre? Any potential issues?

Cheers.

plusnet Unlimited Fibre
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Tue 04-Jun-13 22:01:42
Print Post

Re: Plusnet fibre and ethernet homeplugs. No problems?

[re: RiffRaff] [link to this post]

Home plugs can interfere with xDSL signals I personally would not use them , ethernet cat 6 or cat 5 cable cannot be beaten for reliabilty
Standard User johnjburness
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 04-Jun-13 22:17:43
Print Post

I'm not on Fibre (not available in my area, unfortunately), but I am using the Devolo dLAN 200 version Plugs on my BT 18M ADSL connection.

I've found them very effective & I'm getting 100+M on all of my connections!

In fact I've run multiple TBB Speed-tests, both connected via these Plugs & also direct connection to the Router (as a comparison) & have NOT found any noticeable degradation, etc.

NB:- I chose the dLAN 200 version (rather than the dLAN 500 version) because I did read one report that the 500s had given some problem - but I'm not aware of any more details!

Regards,
John

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Kam
(learned) Tue 04-Jun-13 22:40:37
Print Post

I use Solwise 200 Mbps Homeplugs with my FTTC. The Homeplug networking is much faster than my rather slow 15 Mbps FTTC connection.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 04-Jun-13 23:01:11
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tommy45:
Home plugs can interfere with xDSL signals I personally would not use them , ethernet cat 6 or cat 5 cable cannot be beaten for reliabilty
I think I know what you mean tommy, but that isn't how I read your post.

I think it reads as though xDSL over the Homeplug system can be dodgy, which of course would be rubbish. I think you mean the "noise" produced by them can mess up the sync of the modem.

Whether or not that is the case is another matter smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.4/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Tue 04-Jun-13 23:26:32
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yeah they can cause interference to the xDSL signal it's self as well as from router to pc, they have been known to cause interference to radio coms too radio hams hate them
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 04-Jun-13 23:37:24
Print Post

So you are saying they also cause ethernet problems between the router and PC, when their whole reason for existence is to provide that connection? They don't transmit xDSL.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.4/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User ppppenguin99
(member) Wed 05-Jun-13 08:08:12
Print Post

Don't know how these things ever got licensed. You're connecting what is effectively a radio transmitter to a load of power wiring which acts as an aerial. Almost bound to cuase interference to something.Either in your house or your neighbours.

Having said that, so much of the radio spectrum is badly polluted these days from all sorts of kit that I wonder if powerline ethernet makes much difference.

The best way to conenct a PC etc is via wired ethernet. If that's not practical (tablets, mobile phones etc) then Wifi. You can have more than one wifi base station in your house though i've not looked into the best ways of doing this.
Standard User timl
(member) Wed 05-Jun-13 08:29:44
Print Post

I had Devolo 200s and Solwise 500s at different times on my network before I had FTTC and they were fine but added 3ms of delay.

After I had FTTC they weren't able to keep up with the connection so I replaced them with cat6 cable which has been absolutely faultless.

If you can't do cat5(e) or cat6... (running cat6 cost me less than the homeplugs) then they're ok, especially if you only have 2.4Ghz WIFI which is massively oversubscribed as in my area.

Thanks
Tim

Plusnet unlimited FTTC
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 05-Jun-13 09:13:12
Print Post

I use them and they have no detectable effect on the fibre connection. They do generate some radio interference if I put a radio right next to them, but cause no problems for normal reception. Mine are TP-Link models. I know there is a lot of opposition to them and some can cause considerable interference to short wave radio, so if your neighbours are into this you may not be very popular.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to