User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ainsley001
(regular) Sat 08-Jun-13 11:53:37
Print Post

Suddenly - ping up and download speed down

[link to this post]

After months of a rock solid connection (router didn't reset for 40+ days and is usually 2 weeks plus each time), overnight my pings went up from a solid 26 (to my usual speedtest) to late 30's and my download speed has dropped by 5mbs to 24. Upload has stayed the same at 7.5.

I rebooted the router, but not the other box, with no change. Is there anything else I can try, should i wait and see or should i call it in?

Thank in advance for any suggestions
Standard User ainsley001
(regular) Sat 08-Jun-13 12:04:22
Print Post

Re: Suddenly - ping up and download speed down

[re: ainsley001] [link to this post]

Fibre Unlimited, by the way, in case it wasn't obvious
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 08-Jun-13 13:01:58
Print Post

In reply to a post by ainsley001:
I rebooted the router, but not the other box, with no change. Is there anything else I can try, should i wait and see or should i call it in?

At the moment I would wait and see, sounds like DLM has increased interleaving. How are you measuring the speed?

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 08-Jun-13 13:31:06
Print Post

When DLM intervenes, its first step usually ends up adding 8ms to latency, and steals about 15%-20% from the downstream sync speed (and from the download speed).

It is likely that you are only suffering from crosstalk from other FTTC subscribers, which is gradually increasing as take-up increases - and there is nothing that can be done about it yet.
ISP Representative chrispurvey
(isp) Mon 10-Jun-13 15:38:40
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Hi there,

I've checked over your connection and can see that interleaving is on, it is currently set to the lowest level possible.

It is a case of keeping your connection as stable as possible and hopefully the DLM will see fit to remove interleaving. we don't have the option to turn this on/off at the moment I'm afraid.

Regards,

Chris Purvey
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
  Print Thread

Jump to