User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User swervinc
(regular) Mon 10-Jun-13 20:35:24
Print Post

Joining Plusnet

[link to this post]

I have a few questions about joining Plusnet and my phone line so posted here. I am renting and have recently moved in. Last week I checked the phone line and it was active with filters in all the phone sockets, so the previous tenant must have had broadband in. I have checked the line this week and it now just gives a "beep - beep..." so I assume its no longer active. How can I use this existing line to sign up when it no longer has a phone number or do I have to pay to have it "re-installed"? Also if I go for ADSL and phone, how long does it usually take to get it all up and running?

Thanks.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 10-Jun-13 23:25:10
Print Post

Re: Joining Plusnet

[re: swervinc] [link to this post]

The provider of the last service has probably stoppped or ceased the line.

The provide will be considered a new line, simply because it is a new line in your name, even if it was on BT Wholesale hardware. Good chance the line was an old full LLU one these days.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User swervinc
(regular) Mon 10-Jun-13 23:57:44
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply. How does Plusnet/BT know if there is an inactive line at the property or if they actually have to come out and install a new one?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

ISP Representative orbrey
(isp) Tue 11-Jun-13 08:57:10
Print Post

Hi there,

Basically we perform an address check, which pulls info from the BT databases regarding what lines are where. That'll tell us if there's an existing line or nothing installed etc.

Regards,

Matthew Taylor
Plusnet Customer Support
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Tue 11-Jun-13 09:14:28
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Good chance the line was an old full LLU one these days.

For sure, it's only full LLU that gives the mentioned beep - beep these days, BT Wholesale based voice lines will have 'soft' dial tone on it.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 11-Jun-13 12:51:07
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

What's a 'soft' dial tone? Ability to phone only 17070?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC - BQM
Standard User swervinc
(regular) Tue 11-Jun-13 21:45:31
Print Post

[re: orbrey] [link to this post]

When I try to sign up the site says an "engineer will need to install a new phone line at your property". Will this need to happen as there is one already installed?

Thanks.
ISP Representative orbrey
(isp) Wed 12-Jun-13 08:58:18
Print Post

If that's the case there might be a records mismatch somewhere that we'll need to raise - if you plug a phone in and dial 17070 do you get a number read back? If not it may end up needing to be treated as a new line installation anyway iirc.

If you give our provisioning team a call they'll be able to advise either way.

Regards,

Matthew Taylor
Plusnet Customer Support
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 12-Jun-13 12:49:05
Print Post

[re: orbrey] [link to this post]

OP says it "beep - beep..."s, so no dial tone.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC - BQM
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Wed 12-Jun-13 18:11:15
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
OP says it "beep - beep..."s, so no dial tone.

Yeah and can't be the Roadrunner either ..... meep meep! tongue

Alastair

omadasafisho
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to