User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Damoxuk
(learned) Sat 22-Jun-13 18:21:06
Print Post

Recomended Router for Plusnet Fibre?

[link to this post]

Hi i'll be moving to Plusnet hopefully in August with Fibre but would like to know any recomendations of Wireless routers?

I'm wary of "free" routers so would like to spend extra to get a decent one (unless the bundled one is good?)

Thanks.
Standard User everhopeful
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 22-Jun-13 19:00:37
Print Post

Re: Recomended Router for Plusnet Fibre?

[re: Damoxuk] [link to this post]

The router Plusnet supply (Technicolor TG582N) does the job as well as any other router would. Buying an expensive router will not make your connection any better, so I would recommend you save your money.
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 22-Jun-13 19:04:41
Print Post

The supplied TG582N only has three usable LAN ports so if you need more you will need an additional switch. Some also report that its wireless range is not particularly good but I have no personal experience of it as the two routers (which they no longer supply) that I have had off Plusnet for FTTC have been a Netgear and a Zyxel and they have both been satisfactory.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sat 22-Jun-13 19:20:50
Print Post

Well my view of the Technicolor TG582N or infact any thompson /technicolor routers is that they are poor, poor gui that can be slow as well as very few advanced options being assessable via it's gui , and when i breifly used one, even port forwarding was a pain , I woudn't recomend the TG582N at all , Iv'e always used my own choice of router , one that does what i want it to do
Standard User narz
(member) Sun 23-Jun-13 00:28:53
Print Post

Depends if you have a specific requirement? I don't think you get additional speed using a more expensive router. The GUI can be extremely slow at times as pointed out.

It seems to do the job however, upgrade if it fails to do something you want.

Plusnet FTTC 72/18Mbps

Edited by narz (Sun 23-Jun-13 00:30:13)

Standard User Damoxuk
(learned) Sun 23-Jun-13 08:58:56
Print Post

[re: narz] [link to this post]

Well wireless speed is essential. I have tons of Wireless devices around the house so would require dual band or better.

I'm thinking of Asus RT-N56U

Techicolors one's Wireless doesn't seem good enough for my need's.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 23-Jun-13 09:11:35
Print Post

Did you see this? http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/dslrouter/t/4247316...

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________
Standard User roughbeast
(regular) Sun 23-Jun-13 09:17:42
Print Post

[re: everhopeful] [link to this post]

Try the http://uk.asus.com/Networks/Wireless_Routers/RTN66U/ This is by far the best router around at the moment. It retails at around £108. I have one. The wireless range is fantastic! There's loads of extra features too.

Virgin Media: 100mb/10Mb , land line, mobiles x2, TV - VIP HD box + TIVO 1Tb box.
Standard User nuke_me
(committed) Sun 23-Jun-13 09:18:34
Print Post

I have a ASUS RT-N66U it as all the ports freed up, easy to port forward unlike the Technicolor TG582N which plusnet supplies, the TG582N does get you up and running, but does let you down on some areas.

plusnet internet
Standard User Elkin
(learned) Mon 02-Dec-13 13:39:46
Print Post

[re: nuke_me] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by nuke_me:
I have a ASUS RT-N66U it as all the ports freed up, easy to port forward unlike the Technicolor TG582N which plusnet supplies, the TG582N does get you up and running, but does let you down on some areas.

Hia. don't suppose you can expand on the 'let you down on some areas' bit? I'm keen to update my Techni router (ethernet seems to work fine, but wireless is fairly terrible...even a few feet away).

Reliability is a must (ie. few to no restarts) along with solid wifi (several mobile devices in household all vying for tinterwebz).

-------------
Plusnet Unlimited Fibre
Ex-O2 Standard Legacy Product (moved to fibre)
Ex-Vivaciti:8meg - to save some coin
Ex-ntl:10meg - Moved to a non NTL area frown
-------------
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to