User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Oddball
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 30-Jun-13 19:16:48
Print Post

Suddenly Plusnet support giving me BS

[link to this post]

My line speed keeps going up and down like a lady of the nights knickers!

I spoke to support last week and they had someone look into it. They said there was a fault. But after a couple of days I saw my f8lure graph ping times go down again and manually reset the modem to get my speed back. Something the modem/cabinet should adjust automatically and immediately (it doesn't). But after a week my speed has gone back down and interleaving is back on. Support just say everything is hunky dory.

IT IS NOT!

Again this weekend my speed has been reduced and interleaving is on causing high pings. I just rang support and now they are stringing me a line that because the BTO speedtest gives me an estimated speed for my line I am within tolerances and there is no fault with my line.

So I go from an initial speed of 67/18 with low pings of 6-7ms to 53/13 and pings above 30ms?

Support then has the nerve to tell me there is no interleaving on fibre (true there is not but there is from the cabinet to me!)

I'm suddenly having to argue about the speed I was able to get against what I am currently getting.

I also have a beef about the modem not updating the speed immediately after interleaving is switched off. I have to wait until the interleaving switches off using a f8lure ping test graph and then reset the modem to get my speed back.

This sucks!

Can a member of staff please look at my ticket 71088603 as I don't find this a satisfactory answer.

Sorry if this sound impolite but I hate being fobbed off with excuses or when the person is clearly talking nonsense either through lack of knowledge or just could not care the least.

EDIT2: I've been doing some testing using an AM radio. Noticed a lot of noise from my monitors (HP LP2475w especially). The modem was underneath my Dell monitor to my left. I have moved it further away. Alos my netbook a Samsung seems to put out a hell of a lot of noise when I hover the radio near it. I have moved it to the other side of the room a bit further away from the modem. Because of line length and room layout I cannot move them too far apart. Reconnected modem and noticed my ping has dropped back down meaning interleaving has turned itself back off (or someone kicked the cabinet).

Hmmm...this is worse than being on ADSL. At least I had some control over noise margins when I was with Be.

EDIT3: After further testing I seem to get erratic speeds from various sites. TB speedtest jumps up and down a bit. But seems more accurate than speedtest.net. I did some ping tests to bbc.co.uk and they are fine at 7ms. But speedtest.net reports 30+ so I may be getting my panties in a twist over nothing and it's just a congested Sunday. BTW's speedtest site says my ping is nearly 40ms so I trust it as far as I can throw it!

---
65/18Mbps on Plusnet unlimitedsmile

Edited by Oddball (Sun 30-Jun-13 21:13:55)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 01-Jul-13 07:40:15
Print Post

Re: Suddenly Plusnet support giving me BS

[re: Oddball] [link to this post]

When searching for noise for vdsl something in the 1MHz to 17 MHz is the range to worry about

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User wingco1
(legend) Mon 01-Jul-13 11:06:57
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Home Plugs?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Oddball
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 01-Jul-13 12:10:09
Print Post

[re: wingco1] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by wingco1:
Home Plugs?

No

---
65/18Mbps on Plusnet unlimitedsmile
Standard User majika2007
(regular) Mon 01-Jul-13 12:38:17
Print Post

[re: Oddball] [link to this post]

Hi all, Just to add my 2 pennies worth, I have also noticed a significant jump in my ping times as I too am on PN Unlimited Fibre 68/18.5Mbps I was having solid sub 20ms pings but I am now getting 30ms+ on various tests. although the jitter for my ping times are always low =< 1ms ??

My Speed tests are some what erratic to say the least.
Also it takes a very long time for my line to climb to max RWIN. Its as if there is no net bursting capability enabled on my line. It seems when I hit a fast link it takes ages to climb to max throughput which my line is rated at carrying.

[Edit]
This thread have answered a lot of my question about this sort of thing:
Effect-of-ip-profile-and-how-do-individual-isps-use-it

Edited by majika2007 (Mon 01-Jul-13 12:41:50)

Print Thread

Jump to