User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User andyf66
(newbie) Wed 03-Jul-13 14:43:20
Print Post

New FTTC connection. Does this sound right?

[link to this post]

Hi,

I've recently been connected to FTTC unlimited. Plusnet estimated my sync speed to be 56mb, but in reality Im getting 78mb, as confirmed by the BT wholesale speed tester. It's been stable at that rate for over two weeks now.

I get about 67mb download rate. Is this reasonable for the sync speed? I read that you only get 88.2% of your sync speed as the actual achievable rate, which is pretty much spot on for 78mb sync.

I'm also surprised (and pleased!) that their initial estimates were so far out. I guess I must be pretty close to the cabinet to be getting this speed?

Andy.
Standard User ashmo
(regular) Wed 03-Jul-13 14:48:48
Print Post

Re: New FTTC connection. Does this sound right?

[re: andyf66] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by andyf66:
Hi,

I've recently been connected to FTTC unlimited. Plusnet estimated my sync speed to be 56mb, but in reality Im getting 78mb, as confirmed by the BT wholesale speed tester. It's been stable at that rate for over two weeks now.

I get about 67mb download rate. Is this reasonable for the sync speed? I read that you only get 88.2% of your sync speed as the actual achievable rate, which is pretty much spot on for 78mb sync.

I'm also surprised (and pleased!) that their initial estimates were so far out. I guess I must be pretty close to the cabinet to be getting this speed?

Andy.

Yes thats good, my estimate was 54mb download for the first week I was getting around 71mb but now 2 weeks later 54mb :/
Standard User TheFunkySpy
(knowledge is power) Wed 03-Jul-13 14:49:24
Print Post

I had a similar estimate (57MB) a couple of months back and I get speeds like. . .

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2797910931

So I feel the same as you do.

Enjoy!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 03-Jul-13 14:58:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by andyf66:

It's a little slow for maximum sync speed. The 88.2% thing applies to ADSL, nothing to do with FTTC. On FTTC the IP profile, which is the absolute maximum throughput you will get, is 96.79% of the sync speed, so if you are syncing at the maximum possible 80Mbps, you will get an IP profile of 77.43 Mbps. Allowing for other overheads you ought to be able to achieve about 75Mbps download speed on a speed test in ideal conditions. I'm not sure where you are getting the "78Mb sync" from - this is below the maximum possible sync speed but higher than the maximum possible IP profile that the BT Wholesale tester will report. Are you confusing it with the line speed shown on your Plusnet account, which probably will be 78 Mbps?

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST

Edited by kasg (Wed 03-Jul-13 14:59:17)

Standard User andyf66
(newbie) Wed 03-Jul-13 15:14:22
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

Actually, was posting from my inaccurate memory... This is what the Plusnet site tells me:

Phone exchange:
STAMFORD HILL
Estimated line speed:
56Mb (Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit) - Checked on 2013-06-05 19:38:15
Current line speed:
78 Mb

Bt Speed checker says this:

Additional information
IP Profile for your line is 67.14Mbps

And as I said before (The one part that I got right!) I achieve around a 67mb download rate

Does that all seem reasonable?
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 03-Jul-13 16:06:56
Print Post

Right, that explains it - ignore the Plusnet figure, as long as it is equal to or higher than your IP profile, that is fine. If you are getting speed test results of 67Mbps with a 67.14 Mbps profile then you are doing extremely well! FYI this means your sync speed is about 69360.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User andyf66
(newbie) Wed 03-Jul-13 17:20:48
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

Cheers, thanks for the explanation. Used to be up to speed on all these things as I was once on the original Demon ADSL trials before it was commercially launched, but been out the loop for a while in Virgin Cable land.
  Print Thread

Jump to