User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Damoxuk
(learned) Wed 10-Jul-13 19:38:14
Print Post

Mac Code (Expiry Query)

[link to this post]

Hi I have a MAC code but due to unforseen scheduling the code will "expire" days before a date i'd like for install.

So can I "use" my Mac code now (expires 9th August) and order with Plusnet but specify an install on 19th August?

Will that be classed as Mac code being used?

Or would I need a new Mac code after 9th?

Reason is i'd like to order early so the chances are a LOT higher in me getting the install date I want as I can only take very specific days off.

I know this is a little confusing.
Standard User professor973
(committed) Wed 10-Jul-13 22:13:26
Print Post

Re: Mac Code (Expiry Query)

[re: Damoxuk] [link to this post]

It's the date you submit it restricted to 30 days, not the installation date. Use it near the 9th, as installation will take at least 10mdays and there should be a choice of dates to suit you. As for how far ahead you can book, best to ask PN.

Post Office Home phone Anytime - Freeola Family Broadband.
http://speedtest.net/result/2690543838.png

Edited by professor973 (Wed 10-Jul-13 22:14:29)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 10-Jul-13 23:16:53
Print Post

I wouldn't leave it as late as "near the 9th" as that might mean you don't get the 19th. As the prof says, I'd ask PlusNet the best way of specifying the 19th and timing the order.

To be strictly correct the 30 day validity of the MAC is from the issue of it by Openreach to your old ISP and receipt by Openreach from your new one. It is normally submitted to Openreach by the new ISP within minutes of your order.

If you are migrating from Be you need to be careful. Is there a reason for the 19th, such as a notice period with the old ISP, that you care to share, or is it irrelevant to the process?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.4/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Thu 11-Jul-13 00:10:51
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I believe he's coming from Zen: http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/zen/t/4245394-re-ma...

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001 - not sure for how much longer
Standard User Damoxuk
(learned) Thu 11-Jul-13 19:39:33
Print Post

Hi yes i'm coming from zen and reason about 19th thereabouts is that i'll be on Holiday that week and 19th is a Monday and I prefer to get things done earliest as possible smile

Although Zen have got back to me with an offer for combined Fibre/phone with 15% discount and 200gb allowance as opposed to 100gb (yes not unlimited but been with zen for 7 years and you know laugh).

I'll contact Plusnet regarding this anyway.
Standard User Damoxuk
(learned) Thu 11-Jul-13 20:11:14
Print Post

So contacted Plusnet but apparently I can't use the MAC code I have as it would "expire" before the specified Installation date and Zen can't cancel the MAC code provided now it's been opened.

Ah well not sure if I can take the risk of still ordering (req Aug 19th Install) and then leaving it till 10th Aug to request a new MAC code from Zen and then entering it on my order once received.

Would BTOpenreach require the MAC before install date.

Argh lol why did I request MAC code early? Idiot I am.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 11-Jul-13 20:28:28
Print Post

I don't believe that is true. A MAC only needs to get to Openreach by the 30 days, and obviously if it does so on the 29th or 30th there is no way the migration can complete before the 30th.

Sounds like a newbie on first-line to me. I'll raise a thread on the Community Forums that the Digital Care team monitor and point them to here.

Important question! What are you doing about the phone line?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 11-Jul-13 20:29:14)

Standard User Damoxuk
(learned) Thu 11-Jul-13 20:54:56
Print Post

Hi thanks for the assist. Well I was just on the live chat and they seemed to think the MAC wouldn't be valid.

Even after saying if I order right then with the MAC code they said no I would require a new one if requiring an install date after the Mac code expires.

As for the phone I was hoping to get fibre +phone with plusnet but if I indeed can't use this Mac code then i'll go with zen's offer.

Edited by Damoxuk (Thu 11-Jul-13 20:58:00)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 11-Jul-13 22:55:32
Print Post

OK, I've posted on the Community forums for a Digital Care rep. You need one of those anyway to make sure the phone and broadband both move smoothly. Note they work Mon-Fri, not normally at weekends.

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 11-Jul-13 22:56:46)

Standard User aquiss
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 12-Jul-13 08:52:02
Print Post

Your not an idiot, the CS folks your speaking to are.

If that's the advice your been given now by Plusnet, then walk away now. Sorry PlusNet Reps....but retraining is needed!

A MAC Key has to used in combination with an order before it expires, however, the future date to when it migrates can be weeks in advance.

We often get customers who place orders with us, but are going overseas for a few weeks or want the switch to happen to match a future billing date.

Martin Pitt
Aquiss Limited
http://www.aquiss.net

Unlimited Family Broadband Packages : http://www.aquiss.net/broadband-unlimited.php
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to