User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bet_here
(learned) Wed 17-Jul-13 17:28:54
Print Post

Moving the master socket

[link to this post]

FTTC is arriving at my cab in the next few weeks, and I'm considering PlusNet. Is it possible to have the master socket moved during installation?

Simon
ISP Representative orbrey
(isp) Wed 17-Jul-13 17:31:32
Print Post

Re: Moving the master socket

[re: bet_here] [link to this post]

Hi,

Technically yes, but only if you get a very nice engineer and have some nice biscuits to go with the tea/coffee.

Having said that, you can order the extension kit when you sign up, which will leave the master socket where it is but means the fibre socket (where the modem has to be) can be anywhere up to around 20 metres away (could be 30, apologies I can't remember off the top of my head).

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Matthew Taylor
Plusnet Customer Support
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User bet_here
(learned) Wed 17-Jul-13 17:51:39
Print Post

[re: orbrey] [link to this post]

Hello Matthew, thanks for the reply.

I had heard about the data extension kit, but would like the master socket to be moved to the meter cupboard, where I could hide the DECT base station.

Would it be possible to pay for the relocation at the same time, rather than relying on the tea/biscuit approach or having to have 2 separate appointments?

I would be moving from o2 & post-office landline to PlusNet.

Cheers.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 17-Jul-13 17:56:08
Print Post

It could get a bit hot in there as the modem and router need good ventilation
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 17-Jul-13 18:24:18
Print Post

Most engineers will use the data extension kit, (these days properly called the Home Wiring Solution) to move the master socket. Kellys, Quinns and such may be a different matter.

However, I don't feel a meter (electricity?) cupboard is a good idea for the modem. Where are you thinking of putting the router? In there as well as a DECT base station?

That will be three power sockets required as well.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 51.8/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User ppppenguin99
(member) Fri 19-Jul-13 08:21:29
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Strictly speaking you aren't allowed to put any other kit in the leccy meter cabinet. However, this likelihood of this ever being enforced is minimal.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 19-Jul-13 11:29:56
Print Post

[re: ppppenguin99] [link to this post]

Oh, which law is that? Elec & gas meters are often in the understairs cupboard along with all your stowage.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User ppppenguin99
(member) Fri 19-Jul-13 11:33:31
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

I was referring to external meter cabinets. For internal installations the meter and cutout etc are usually fixed to a wooden panel.supplied by the REC (previously DNO). You aren't meant to mount anything else on that panel though I've often seen the odd Henley block etc.

If you have a cupboard in which the meter etc happens to be mounted then of course you can do what you please with the rest of the space.

Edited by ppppenguin99 (Fri 19-Jul-13 11:35:26)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 19-Jul-13 11:48:31
Print Post

[re: ppppenguin99] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ppppenguin99:
I was referring to external meter cabinets.
The OP implied it was his own (internal) cupboard. He isn't going to leave his DECT base station in a public area connected to his own internal phone line. Anybody can snoop on him or steal calls from him wink.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Fri 19-Jul-13 18:22:18
Print Post

[re: orbrey] [link to this post]

Technically yes, but only if you get a very nice engineer and have some nice biscuits to go with the tea/coffee.

As long as the order to Openreach has the HWS module ticked, then this can be a shift of existing NTE, a 'network rearrangement' or a data extension kit (30m by the way !) but then you'd know all this already. smile

To the OP, make sure you order the HWS module, and if it's a contractor who turns up to fit it, take no BS, if you want it shifting, then they obliged to do this.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to