User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Oddball
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 19-Aug-13 16:02:04
Print Post

How long before my speed profile updates itself?

[link to this post]

I am stuck at 58-59mbit downloads on speedtest.btwholesale.com even though I am synced at 71/20 and btwholesale says my profile is 68/17.

So how long before it will up the DS rate to closer to 68?

---
What's my speed? Who knows thanks to DLM! Plusnet FTTC. Openreach are pants!
ISP Representative orbrey
(isp) Mon 19-Aug-13 16:24:38
Print Post

Re: How long before my speed profile updates itself?

[re: Oddball] [link to this post]

Guess it depends how long it takes one of us to pick up on this post really...

Apologies if you didn't want it changing and were hoping to see it go up automatically.

Regards,

Matthew Taylor
Plusnet Customer Support
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Mon 19-Aug-13 16:42:26
Print Post

[re: orbrey] [link to this post]

It suppose to be automatically instant, not waiting for five days (sometimes it doesn't pick it up and force the manual set by plusnet staff is annoying)

plusnetADSL2+15.7 Meg

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Oddball
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 19-Aug-13 17:34:34
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

Well I ran TCPOptimizer just to see if it was some issue on my PV NiC and rebooted. Now I am getting 65/16 which is closer to the profile. I may get slightly faster at a different time of day too. Not sure if it was the reboot of the PC or TCPOptimizer that did it. I ran TCPOptimizer again and set it to default Windows values and it still gives the same results. Ideally I would like to make sure all registry values are set back to defaults manually and retest. I was getting 67/18 on installation and I have not changed anything on the network side of my Windows settings since then until now so not sure what the issue is/was.

I will do some further testing in the wee hours when it is likely to be less busy and see.

The weird thing is my line suddenly became super stable and less noisy after DLM decided to re-sync and disabled INP and interleaving.

---
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 19-Aug-13 17:49:51
Print Post

In reply to a post by Oddball:
Well I ran TCPOptimizer just to see if it was some issue on my PV NiC and rebooted. Now I am getting 65/16 which is closer to the profile

Surely this is because Matt adjusted your Plusnet line speed, as posted (albeit slightly cryptically).

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User Oddball
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 20-Aug-13 15:09:53
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kasg:
Well I ran TCPOptimizer just to see if it was some issue on my PV NiC and rebooted. Now I am getting 65/16 which is closer to the profile

Surely this is because Matt adjusted your Plusnet line speed, as posted (albeit slightly cryptically).

Maybe. I just read my support update and they said they tweaked it. So they obviously have some control over the profile. I still do not understand why the profile says I am limited to 68.xx when the line is synced at 71.xx though.

Other annoyances are if my router obtains a new IP for whatever reason it has a direct impact on speeds. I noticed it had changed this morning and did a speed test and saw my download speed climb about 1mbit and my upload speed decrease by 3-4mbit. I thought this odd so disconnected from the DHCP, reconnected (this usually only takes a few seconds) and did another speed test.

It had now dropped to 42/2!

So I rebooted the router and waited for the 'long' login process. Speeds then tested at 66/17.

I don't wish to be rebooting my router everyday so I am hoping this was only due to Plusnet fiddling with the profile?

---

Edited by Oddball (Tue 20-Aug-13 15:10:24)

Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 20-Aug-13 15:20:19
Print Post

I still do not understand why the profile says I am limited to 68.xx when the line is synced at 71.xx though.

A sync speed of exactly 71Mbps would mean an IP profile (maximum possible download speed) of 68.72Mbps, so no great discrepancy there.

Rebooting the router (not the modem) should have no affect at all on your speed unless it is to correct the IP profile following a resync of the modem that did not drop the PPP session - or unless there is a problem with one of the Plusnet gateways and you have connected to a different one. Personally I have found no difference at all in speeds between the gateways, but slight differences in latency.

Kevin

Using OpenDNS

Edited by kasg (Tue 20-Aug-13 15:26:38)

Standard User Oddball
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 21-Aug-13 19:07:05
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

That does not make sense since my IP profile is 20mbit on the US and I am synced at 20mbit. I can upload at over 18mbits according to speedtest.net (16+ on BTWholesale speed test. Also why is the ping always so high on their test?).

So is there a reason the IP profile is 68 instead of 71mbit (Currently getting DS tests of 65-66)? Or does it work differently for DS than US?

I'm not unhappy with my current speed as it exceeds the estimate by quite a bit (Currently but that may change over time). But a few more mbits is always welcome wink

In reply to a post by kasg:
I still do not understand why the profile says I am limited to 68.xx when the line is synced at 71.xx though.

A sync speed of exactly 71Mbps would mean an IP profile (maximum possible download speed) of 68.72Mbps, so no great discrepancy there.

Rebooting the router (not the modem) should have no affect at all on your speed unless it is to correct the IP profile following a resync of the modem that did not drop the PPP session - or unless there is a problem with one of the Plusnet gateways and you have connected to a different one. Personally I have found no difference at all in speeds between the gateways, but slight differences in latency.

---
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 21-Aug-13 19:33:12
Print Post

That does not make sense since my IP profile is 20mbit on the US and I am synced at 20mbit. I can upload at over 18mbits according to speedtest.net (16+ on BTWholesale speed test. Also why is the ping always so high on their test?).

So is there a reason the IP profile is 68 instead of 71mbit (Currently getting DS tests of 65-66)? Or does it work differently for DS than US?

Downstream IP profile is 96.79% of sync speed. That's how it is for everyone on FTTC. It's better than ADSL, where it's 88.2%. There is no upstream profile, it is always reported as the maximum your service is capable of, although you will be doing extremely well to get over 18Mbps. I don't know why the BT Wholesale test always reports particularly high pings, it does for me too, much higher than I get on speedtest.net, for example. The thinkbroadband.com speed tester tends to be somewhere between the two.

Kevin

Using OpenDNS
  Print Thread

Jump to