User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Harold
(learned) Sun 25-Aug-13 06:55:10
Print Post

Torrents

[link to this post]

Im currently with sky (18mb on llu)

Fibre is in my town now and im 200-400 m from the cab bt est 58mb

All well and good but do Plusnet throttle torrents. I dont Dl much maybe 200gb per month
but i like to get em fast when needed. By the way most of that is old tv shows before the haters jump on me.

Harold...

Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 25-Aug-13 13:24:09
Print Post

Re: Torrents

[re: Harold] [link to this post]

On Unlimited, no; on Essentials, only between 8 and 10 pm last time I looked.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User majika2007
(member) Sun 25-Aug-13 14:08:20
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

Regarding PN rate Limits / Traffic management policy's you may wish to check out:
Plusnet Traffic Management Support Page

The following is an extract from the above Plusnet URL
Rate Limits

Please note: rate limits are not applied to our current Plusnet Unlimited or Plusnet Business products.

We use rate limits with Plusnet Essentials and some of our older broadband products to make sure everyone gets a good online experience.

IMHO, The only qualm I have with the whole Fibre (FTTx) debate is that regardless whether your ISP of choose limits/throttles your connection/service you are reliant on their traffic management platform which to my knowledge uses Deep-Packet inspection techniques and SPI which in turn de-prioritises your traffic in accordance THEIR QOS policy.

If using P2P networks be it Bittorrent/FTP/Usenet/IRC.. your maximum throughput could be reduced if you are a heavy user (dependent on several factors).

Also the time it takes for your line to "ramp-up" to its "rated" maximum throughput takes quite a long time, as I have noticed when using some file-sharing services. This could be issues with my network settings MTU/MTS, CTCP, settings etc.. However I doubt it.

One good thing about PN is their level of Support and no-fuss way of sorting things out. which is one of the main reasons I decided to go with them; and of course their product speeds and lack of obvious rate limits !

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Damoxuk
(regular) Sun 25-Aug-13 18:35:26
Print Post

[re: majika2007] [link to this post]

And don't forget probably one of the cheapest if not cheapest for full phat FTTC unlimited?

Either way i'm happy with my new Fibre install. But considering I only got 3.5mbps before even if I got half the speed I got now still would be 8 times faster lol.
Standard User ou7shined
(learned) Mon 26-Aug-13 05:22:47
Print Post

[re: Harold] [link to this post]

I'm glad that people consider 200Gb a month isn't much these days. I feel very conspicuous d/l'ing a mere 5-10Gb (if that) a month.

-Rich-

Edited by ou7shined (Mon 26-Aug-13 05:24:24)

Standard User majika2007
(member) Tue 27-Aug-13 11:26:20
Print Post

[re: ou7shined] [link to this post]

And don't forget probably one of the cheapest if not cheapest for full phat FTTC unlimited?

I totally agree, PN has provided a solid and an affordable package. In whole I'm quite happy anyway smile

In reply to a post by ou7shined:
I'm glad that people consider 200Gb a month isn't much these days. I feel very conspicuous d/l'ing a mere 5-10Gb (if that) a month.

Oh, how times have changed..
Anyway, I think its the upload traffic which cost the most amount of money to the ISPs/transit providers.

Standard User narz
(member) Wed 28-Aug-13 11:47:40
Print Post

[re: majika2007] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by majika2007:
If using P2P networks be it Bittorrent/FTP/Usenet/IRC.. your maximum throughput could be reduced if you are a heavy user (dependent on several factors).

Also the time it takes for your line to "ramp-up" to its "rated" maximum throughput takes quite a long time, as I have noticed when using some file-sharing services. This could be issues with my network settings MTU/MTS, CTCP, settings etc.. However I doubt it.

This is exactly my experience too with P2P on Plusnet with speeds vary wildly during peak hours. On the whole though, its manageable and GVFM atm.

Plusnet FTTC 72/18Mbps
Standard User astateoftrance
(member) Wed 28-Aug-13 15:30:50
Print Post

[re: ou7shined] [link to this post]

200 GB really isn't that much these days. I went over that amount last month mostly from watching Netflix in HD and downloading a few games from Playstation Plus. No need to be using file sharing to have high bandwidth use.

Edited by astateoftrance (Wed 28-Aug-13 15:35:21)

Print Thread

Jump to