User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Premonition
(newbie) Wed 28-Aug-13 13:02:29
Print Post

Best way to avoid cessation fee? Moving house..

[link to this post]

Bit of a general question.

Will be moving house in pretty much exactly 18months and 2-3weeks (leaving university), and thinking of ordering unlimited fibre with plusnet in the next week or so (18month contract).

Only recently realised there is a cessation fee, after having done all the price comparisons with different providers and settling on plusnet. Therefore in order to avoid this fee what would be my best option?

I was thinking to purchase the plusnet fibre anyway and cancel perhaps a month early and move to a provider with a 1month contract (non-fibre). Is this a good idea? Do such broadband providers currently exist!? as I only ever see 12/18months contracts.. and do cessation fee's tend to be common with other broadband providers? Or is there a more hassle free way to get out paying this?

I know in 18months time prices and offerings would have changed, but I would just like to get an idea of my options.

Cheers,
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 28-Aug-13 13:27:29
Print Post

Re: Best way to avoid cessation fee? Moving house..

[re: Premonition] [link to this post]

Cease fee is an Openreach, passed onto BT Wholesale and then onward by many providers.

Chances of finding a 1 month contract service with no cease fee seems very slight to me.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 28-Aug-13 15:43:19
Print Post

See Table 2.8 on this page. You could avoid the cancellation charge by migrating away a month early, paying the much smaller monthly early termination fee, then do a House Move with the new ISP, as many ISPs do that free.

The downside is you may need to pay for the house move if you then leave them within 12 months. ISPs vary on this. So find out details and do the arithmetic smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 51.8/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Wed 28-Aug-13 21:21:45
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for your responses.

Ahh it's a shame switching to a 1 month service is unlikely to be useful.

Did not consider doing a house move with new ISP, that sounds like a promising option. Although I fear I will have to move into parents home for a month or two before starting work, which may rule out that out. However, I will keep that in mind for when the time comes.

Out of curiosity, how easy is it to transfer the account holder (i.e. the person paying the broadband bills) from one person to another?
There is a small possibility of one of my housemates staying in the flat for a year longer (they may do a masters).
In such a situation would they have to start another 18 month contract?
And would a 12-month contract with a different provider without a cease fee be easier to come by (than a 1 month contract without a cease fee).

Thanks again,
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 28-Aug-13 22:52:38
Print Post

Maybe you aren't aware of this? (Only the 38Mbps product of course).

Your "just over 18 months" probably doesn't fit into two of those though.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 51.8/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 28-Aug-13 22:56:27
Print Post

If the phone and broadband are with Plusnet fairly simple - if the phone is with BT there may be problems
(newbie) Thu 29-Aug-13 21:31:05
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

No I wasn't aware of that, thanks for sharing, although sadly that option ends up costing a little more for my timescale.

Will probably go for plusnet anyway, and hope that later on my circumstances allow me to somehow avoid the fee.

Thanks guys
Standard User ultra
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 29-Aug-13 22:57:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by Premonition:
There is a small possibility of one of my housemates staying in the flat for a year longer (they may do a masters).

In that case, why not get the housemate to register as the customer for line and broadband, and share the cease fee cost early on (so pay them 15 quid and get a receipt) which means you no longer have to consider transfer of the account, in any event...

---

If you run a business, have a second ISP and backup web hosting...
  Print Thread

Jump to