User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User juu
(learned) Fri 30-Aug-13 08:33:05
Print Post

PlusNet fibre during stabilization period

[link to this post]

My PlusNet fibre was installed 2 days ago and has been almost unusable most of the time, with frequent disconnects and really high packet loss:

Ping statistics for 74.125.24.104:
Packets: Sent = 746, Received = 638, Lost = 108 (14% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 17ms, Maximum = 32ms, Average = 19ms

Furthermore, any upload larger than ~10 MB triggers an immediate disconnect, so I cannot upload some files I really need to.

I called PlusNet and they said it was still the stabilization period and that I should just wait 10 days until it stabilizes. Also they said they don't see any issues or disconnects on my line, and that I was currently on the lower speed setting.

I tried "SuperUser" with my S/N as password on the router ("technicolor TG582n"), and it didn't work, the "admin" password that I can log into doesn't show anything I would find interesting.

I've plugged into a data extension kit which is plugged into the master socket. I did a reboot both of both routers and it didn't help.

Is there anything I can do besides wait and hope it improves?

Edited by juu (Fri 30-Aug-13 08:37:38)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 30-Aug-13 08:45:49
Print Post

Re: PlusNet fibre during stabilization period

[re: juu] [link to this post]

Try running from the master and the test socket

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 30-Aug-13 09:34:32
Print Post

In reply to a post by juu:
I called PlusNet and they said it was still the stabilization period and that I should just wait 10 days until it stabilizes. Also they said they don't see any issues or disconnects on my line, and that I was currently on the lower speed setting.

That is a little depressing. Even if there were a 10-day stabilisation period, which there isn't, it would not cause the effects you have described. But I don't understand why Plusnet is not seeing the disconnects, that is normally reliable. Hopefully a rep will jump in and pick this up.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 30-Aug-13 09:43:19
Print Post

Is this a data extension kit supplied by the engineer, or one of your own? Was it a real Openreach engineer, or a contractor?

With most ISPs the router does tell you nothing. That's how Openreach have designed FTTC.

What make of Openreach modem is it? A Huawei is easily unlocked to get at the full stats, like O2 SuperUser, but SuperUser was an O2 special because they had hidden the stuff for some odd reason. On ADSLx it is normally easily seen.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 51.8/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 30-Aug-13 10:45:52)

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Fri 30-Aug-13 10:08:24
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

someone on kitz forums mentioned plusnet has a very unusually high timeout on their ppp servers meaning a long outage is required for a disconnect to register.

the stabilisation period is probably because plusnet want to wait for DLM to try and stabilise the line first. So they mean waiting for the line rate/settings to stabilise, DLM needs at least a day to make an adjustment. So if it changes something and still unstable than have to wait at least one more day for the next change.

To see the line stats you need to get into the modem not router.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - BQM
Standard User juu
(learned) Fri 30-Aug-13 10:14:49
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Is this a data extension kit supplied by the engineer, or one of your own? Was it a real Openreach engineer, or a contractor?

It was a contractor, and "installed" is somewhat relative as he said he hasn't been contracted or has the time to properly drill through the many walls, so he can either leave it lying around and have my own handyman hide it somehow later, or he can just install fiber for the master socket (in a bad place near front door).

I chose the former (maybe a mistake).

In any case the data extension kit seems just a cat5 ethernet cable. I'm now testing how it works when plugged into the master socket and it seems better so far - but it could just be a coincidence.
Standard User juu
(learned) Fri 30-Aug-13 10:16:05
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
To see the line stats you need to get into the modem not router.

How do I do that?
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 30-Aug-13 10:37:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by juu:
How do I do that?

If you've got a Huawei HG612 you need to unlock it a la http://huaweihg612hacking.wordpress.com/ but I don't think you want to be doing that at the moment. What does the BT Wholesale speed test (diagnostic) tell you?

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST

Edited by kasg (Fri 30-Aug-13 10:38:53)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 30-Aug-13 10:50:03
Print Post

You need to complain to PlusNet about this. The contractors are well known for doing a lousy job, and not what they are contracted to do. You probably have a botched installation causing the problem.

As others have said, the 10-day thing always was garbage on ADSLx, and on FTTC is simply irrelevant as it does not have anything to do with the line stabilisation.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 51.8/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User timl
(member) Fri 30-Aug-13 13:12:17
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
someone on kitz forums mentioned plusnet has a very unusually high timeout on their ppp servers meaning a long outage is required for a disconnect to register.
They fixed this really recently... the timeout used to be >6 minutes but it's now less than a minute [from my recent experience]

Plusnet unlimited FTTC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to