User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TLM
(legend) Fri 30-Aug-13 17:47:31
Print Post

Line rental price hike - confused how it will affect me

[link to this post]

Hi,

I've had an e-mail today saying - if I've understood correctly - that my line rental (inclusive evening & weekend calls) will be going up by £1 a month from 1st October.

BUT I already paid a year up-front for line rental, last December, on the line rental saver deal.

Does that mean PN are increasing the price before the year is up, even though I paid an agreed price for the whole year? Or will the increase only cut in once the line rental saver expires, in December (three months later)?

Will there be an option to replace the line rental saver with another line rental saver, and if so, how much difference would that make? Or will I only be able to pay monthly in future?

I'm sorry if this has already been answered elsewhere. I see there is a long thread about forthcoming price rises, but to be honest, I could not pick my way all through it, to see if it had already been answered somewhere. Most of the posts seemed to be about rises for broadband only customers (which this is not).

T.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 30-Aug-13 18:43:49
Print Post

Re: Line rental price hike - confused how it will affect me

[re: TLM] [link to this post]

If on line saver there will be no change yet, but if renew early and extend it by another year now I think you can lock yourself into the old price for longer.

Check back as to the dates for when you can still buy another 12 months at current price.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/5970-annual-price...

Is the short version of the thread

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User TLM
(legend) Fri 30-Aug-13 21:02:30
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks Andrew, that article makes it clearer!

I just got the same e-mail a second time. I expected to be a correction to the earlier one, in recognition that I am, in fact, on the Line Rental Saver, but it was an exact duplicate of the first, with no mention that I'm NOT on pay monthly, so won't see any immediate effect - or that I might renew early, to beat the price rise.

T.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Damoxuk
(regular) Sat 31-Aug-13 08:43:38
Print Post

Well as you have already paid up front these changes won't come into effect until after your 12 month line saver is up. At which point you will pay the higher price. Still cheaper than paying monthly of course.
Standard User TLM
(legend) Sat 31-Aug-13 09:24:07
Print Post

[re: Damoxuk] [link to this post]

You may well assume that (and seems to be borne out by Andrew's answer), but nowhere in the e-mail did it actually say there was any exception if you were still in the 12-month deal. It just tells me the cost of monthly line-rental is going up from 1st October, and how to reduce the impact by switching to a cheaper deal (minus the free evening calls) if I don't like it. There's no mention at all that I'm not even on "pay monthly", or that this makes any difference to how I'm affected, or what my options are!

Hence the question. I couldn't simply assume PN weren't trying to increase an already-agreed price, when everything about the e-mail suggested that was exactly what they were doing.

Also, it appears (Andrew's response) that if I elect to renew early, I will NOT pay the higher price, but can secure today's price for another year.

T.
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 31-Aug-13 09:27:29
Print Post

You can only renew up to 3 months before the due date
Standard User TLM
(legend) Sat 31-Aug-13 09:35:16
Print Post

[re: Oldjim] [link to this post]

That will work out fine. I have only just over three months left to run at present. So if I renew any time between the end of next week and Oct. 1st, there will be less than three months still to run.

T.
Standard User Damoxuk
(regular) Sat 31-Aug-13 09:43:46
Print Post

I guess they need to reword it laugh
But paying up front 1 year usually exempts from price rises.
Standard User TLM
(legend) Sat 31-Aug-13 10:02:44
Print Post

[re: Damoxuk] [link to this post]

I quite agree that's usually the whole point of paying up-front. So I would have had something to say (to put it mildly) if they were trying to renege on it.

But yes, a very poorly framed e-mail. Not even a little note to say: "Oh, by the way, if you're on our Line Rental Saver, you can disregard most of the above. And if you have less than three months to run, you can renew at today's prices by doing so before 1st October". That's all it would have taken, and I'd have been quite clear what I needed to do.

I'm questioning whether they even know I'm on the saver deal. I'm going to have to check the bills carefully, and make sure I haven't paid twice. I believe I've been paying for broadband unlimited and actual calls only, but there's a grain of doubt now...

T.
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 31-Aug-13 10:21:13
Print Post

This is from the email I received
If you currently pay for 12 months line rental in advance, we'll send you a reminder before your Line Rental Saver expires, with details on how to renew. The renewal charge will be £137.88 equivalent to £11.49 a month after 1 October 2013, this equates to a saving of £42.00 a year. If you choose to renew your Line Rental Saver, you will keep your inclusive Evening and Weekend calls. Any additional call plans will increase by the amount stated above.
Didn't you get the same thing
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to