User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User andyswain
(member) Sun 08-Sep-13 22:33:24
Print Post

Modem and speeds

[link to this post]

Hello all

Its a fair few years since iv been on here.. Right until a couple of months ago was on a very old package from Force9 originally that gave me 20gig allowance at peak times but my peak times was 4pm till 12pm hence the reason I kept it because I could get most of what I wanted d/led in the of peak time so was in essence free. and D/L around 100g-120g a month But they did want me off the old account and they put me on the unlimited at a great price. So now can d/l when and what I want . BUT yes the big BUT is my SPEEDS lol as you shall see....

Now yee see iv been with Force9/Plus.net (no matter who.) since the start As in the old days of 2400 modems some 13 plus years now. And when we got te 14400 modems it was a great jump in speed
Yes I know it was slow back then and took me 8 days to download a old home made film Id seen on a site and not many wegs in size either LOL

History of my d/l speeds is about 6 years ago I was on the 8meg)speed) package I think and was only getting just over half a meg speed d/l. for a couple of weeks people helped and helped and in the end we got it up to around 2meg d/l
But since that time according to what I down load has not risen much as I am now about 3.2meg d/l and Im sure when I was on the very old package from Force9 that I had about 4.5meg d/l but Im not 100% in that. And the reason for me asking what you are getting speed wise.

This is what it says about my connection on the Plusnet site.
Telephone number:
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Phone exchange:
CHESTERFIELD
Estimated line speed:
2.5Mb (This may vary between 1.5Mb and 5Mb) - Checked on 2013-08-17 21:36:08
Current line speed:
2.4 Mb

The setup I have is my router is in the upstairs bedroom (gives me better wiFi to the radio shack) and is directly wired into the master socket. The modem is Thomson 870WiFi from around 2002-2004 years old. (Opps could this be the main issue do you think??? and that iv not replaced it in so long?) and the network runs both wired and wireless PCs laptops , tablets, set-top boxs and phones running on it Now all has been ok Iso far But I suppose that adding the Roku has shown just how slow the internet speed is as when trying to watch anything it is forever buffering. Iv even done it with everything else off and still the same.

And I wondered if there was anyway of increasing the d/l speed out of my current system by any hardware or tinkering I could throw at it without having to upgrade to FO that is.

And is the reason I was also asking what sort of speeds you are getting on the Plusnet Unlimited packages? I dont know what a 100% line speed should be Im not sure if it is said anywhere but just wondering if im loosing out big time?.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Regards Andy

Adsl and having a Slow experance at the moment But its getting a lot better smile
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 09-Sep-13 08:21:21
Print Post

Re: Modem and speeds

[re: andyswain] [link to this post]

Run a speedtest over ethernet in first instance graphs convey some useful information http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html

The speeds others get is irrelevant as they dont have the same line as you. It is line length that determines speed aling with technology used. If next door to the exchange building 20Meg is to be expected, if 3 miles away then perhaps 3 Meg

Your modem may contain infirmation about connection speed, attenuation and noise margin supply those and people can advise

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 09-Sep-13 11:09:58
Print Post

Can you get FTTC? Costs a bit more but potential massive speed improvement if you can.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Edit: not sure if that's what you meant by "FO"

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST

Edited by kasg (Mon 09-Sep-13 11:11:00)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 09-Sep-13 12:18:45
Print Post

Post your router stats - try http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php#43

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User eckiedoo
(member) Mon 09-Sep-13 12:25:36
Print Post

As Andrew has indicated, the (electrical) Length of the Phone Line is the main determinant of the Speed etc, Noise, Repeats etc ("radio shack" - Packet Switching?).

Try this test, noting the Length particularly and for your own background gen, the Cabinet Number.

windows.mouselike.org/be/?DoAction=BrasChecker

Try then to locate the (usually-) green cabinet that your phone line comes from.

---------------------------------

In my case, although the cabinet is 25 metres across the road, the line takes about 125 metres to reach my house via a small pavement level distribution block, out of the total Line Length of 1,286 metres.

(That small distribution block was the source of noise etc back in Dial-Up days; but was initially overlooked by BT, until one older technichian looked carefully at his plans - we then found it alongside a near-neighbours house - remade the joints - Cured!)

So with an FTTC cabinet installed beside the present green one, I should get close to the maximum on VDSL.

Another thread on this forum mentioned that his parents were almost "next door" to their exchange - BUT the line length was about the same as mine, say 1300 metres.

It would depend very much where their cabinet was located; and seems likely to be around the half-way mark, about 650 metres, so their VDSL could be decidedly less than my prospects.

It clearly pays to be acquainted with the actual phone line run.
Standard User andyswain
(member) Mon 09-Sep-13 15:10:11
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

Hi Sorry
Im not sure what WBC FTTC is sorry? but it is available on my line from Cabinet 28.
Is it available from Plusnet? and if so how would I go about getting installed or up and running.
Also the FO "Fiber Optic" is also available.

Also the other information I was asked to get is below
My Broardband info from the BE Usergroup

The current Downstream BRAS rate is: 2.82 Mbps
The current Upstream BRAS rate is: 0.45 Mbps

Data For: 01246XXXXXX
Exchange: CHESTERFIELD (SLCD)
BT Recorded Line Length to Exchange (m): 4076
BE LLU: Activated
Real Error: Migration code required for this number

My Link Information from my modem

Uptime: 5 days, 1:04:03
Modulation: G.992.3 Annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 444 / 3,191
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [GB/GB]: 2.86 / 27.30
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 29.5 / 52.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 20.5 / 17.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 11 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 6,979
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 15
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 12

One other thing my modem does drop out and restart itself on quite a few occasions and some times it does it a few times over and over and some times I even have to switch it off for it to restart right? But then I could get 5 - 10 30days out of it before it drops again. Odiously its worst when there is a storm in the air but other times when it happens +I cannot put my finger what causes it?

regards Andy

DSL and having a Slow experance at the moment frown
Standard User mr_mojo
(knowledge is power) Mon 09-Sep-13 16:30:49
Print Post

If you have the spare £10/month or so that it costs to upgrade to the 'FTTC' fibre optic service, I'd highly recommend it. You'll probably see speeds increase 10x. It also cuts out a lot of the copper cable which are a cause of faults.
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 09-Sep-13 16:46:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by andyswain:
Im not sure what WBC FTTC is sorry? but it is available on my line from Cabinet 28.
Is it available from Plusnet? and if so how would I go about getting installed or up and running.

Fibre To The Cabinet - what was the estimated speed it gave?
Yes, you can get it from Plusnet (see my sig).

http://www.plus.net/home-broadband/package-guides/fi...

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User eckiedoo
(member) Mon 09-Sep-13 18:15:36
Print Post

Afternoon Andy

Given your Line Length of 4076 Metres, about 2.5 miles, it is more exposed to problems, from various causes, eg plenty of joints to deteriorate, sources of electronic noise etc.

If these are present, they will have adverse effects, even after going on to fibre, depending on their sources.

So you should also do a "Quiet Test" on your phone line.

Unplug everything from your NTE (Network Terminating Equipment socket) ie where the phone line comes in to your house.

You may have to plug in a conventional ADSL Splitter, the dongles needed to prevent the ADSL BB signals getting to individual phones.

Plug in to the Splitter, the "simplest" (probably oldest) directly-corded phone you have or can borrow etc.

Dial 17070

then 2 for the "Quiet Test"; and listen carefully.

Basically the line should be Quiet.

Depending on the cause, you may hear continuous/intermittent hums, crackles pops, etc. And these will generally be worse if there is a storm around; and also if any significant length of it is Overhead.

If you do hear noises, you should contact your Phone (Line) Provider, ie the company you pay Phone Line Rental to. This may be wrapped up in your present ADSL BB Contract so with your present BB ISP supplier; or may be separate and probably with BT etc.

===================================

Whilst the Line Length back to the Exchange is 4076 metres, try to locate your Cabinet 28, generally but NOT necessarily the one nearest you.

The nearer it is, the better the performance of FTTC is likely to be.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 09-Sep-13 18:17:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by andyswain:
Also the FO "Fiber Optic" is also available.
What you call FO (sic Fiber Optic) we call FTTC (Fibre to the Cabinet).

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to