User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User barker04
(regular) Thu 19-Sep-13 18:38:30
Print Post

Plusnet capacity during IOS 7 downloads

[link to this post]

Just been having a read of a plusnet blog post about how they handle increased traffic.

http://community.plus.net/blog/2013/09/19/unpreceden...

It seems like they dont have enough back haul to cope with large increases in traffic - which makes me slightly worried as I was looking at signing up to get fibre with them.

Wondered if this sort of information was provided by the likes of BT etc as was expecting them to have more than enough bandwidth?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 19-Sep-13 18:48:41
Print Post

Re: Plusnet capacity during IOS 7 downloads

[re: barker04] [link to this post]

Week on week peak bandwidth use does not tend to suddenly jump 30% in one night. The trend over time is up, but usually at a rate that is fairly consistent.

Given the lead times and cost of ordering new bandwidth in anticipation would be expensive, maybe bringing forward a purchase that was due in October, but generally PlusNet follows rules on how much capacity is bought.

The interesting part is that with WBC they are billed on the 95% percentile, so get several spikes e.g. ios7, GTA5, CoD, BF4, Xbox One, PS4 in one month could be expensive if you don't allow some contention to kick in.

The difference with PlusNet is they tend to talk about this sort of thing.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User barker04
(regular) Thu 19-Sep-13 18:53:33
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Indeed that is true although it would be good to know that the ISP i pick has sufficient bandwidth in place to handle things like this.

Would be good to see some trends with ISPs named from the collective thinkbroadband monitors!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 19-Sep-13 19:14:58
Print Post

No ISP provisions for huge numbers of customers to download what appears to be 750-1000MB at the same time.

The difference between PlusNet and other ISPs is that Plusnet have a priority system but the others don't. The PlusNet system protects each user in two ways. It is explained a bit in the link you gave, and much more fully here.

You will probably find this page interesting as well, and the "Abnormal load" link near the bottom of it smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 51.8/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User barker04
(regular) Thu 19-Sep-13 19:16:42
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I was under the impression that BT pretty much always have enough bandwidth compared to other ISPs?
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Thu 19-Sep-13 19:27:15
Print Post

So a handful of days each year when there is a major event there is a small slowdown in background downloads. Plusnet's prices are competitive, intelligent traffic management is one ace they hold that allows them to do this. The choice you have is to go with an ISP that over provisions capacity to ensure they have sufficient spare to cope with events like that. So if you want to pay the prices of someone like AAISP, that's the choice you make.

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001 - not sure for how much longer
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Thu 19-Sep-13 19:34:50
Print Post

In reply to a post by barker04:
Just been having a read of a plusnet blog post about how they handle increased traffic.

http://community.plus.net/blog/2013/09/19/unpreceden...

It seems like they dont have enough back haul to cope with large increases in traffic - which makes me slightly worried as I was looking at signing up to get fibre with them.

Wondered if this sort of information was provided by the likes of BT etc as was expecting them to have more than enough bandwidth?

My broadband isn't issues at all all day yesterday. U shouldn't worry about sign up.

plusnetADSL2+15.7 Meg
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 19-Sep-13 20:09:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by barker04:
I was under the impression that BT pretty much always have enough bandwidth compared to other ISPs?
BT Wholesale does, as they supply all except Sky, TalkTalk resellers, and a few small LLU's. BT Retail I haven't checked wrt yesterday and today. Maybe you should check their forum here, and also the BT Community ones, to see if anyone has reported issues?

I haven't seen any complaints here about PlusNet speeds in the last couple of days ....

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 51.8/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Thu 19-Sep-13 20:50:00
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yes no problem here with plusnet over the last few days with no speed issues at all.

plusnetADSL2+16 Meg
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Fri 20-Sep-13 15:56:32
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

it is good that plusnet are open, BT were not problem free, but I think BT's issues were peering side not WBC side.

That graph I noticed 2 things.

The gold traffic itself almost hit the link capacity.
The silver traffic got squeezed heavily during the gold peak, during that short time period it was squeezed heavily I expect it was more than a "small slowdown". At 7pm silver had what looks like around 200mbit of traffic in use, between 9 and 10pm its squeezed down to barely 10mbit of traffic due to the requirements of gold traffic load.

This is a scenario where plusnet staff not too long ago were stating wouldnt happen.

I would also be concerned that on the point of sale plusnet say a certian thing is normally gold traffic but then it seems on a whim they can reclassify traffic. Not for me thanks.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - BQM

Edited by Chrysalis (Fri 20-Sep-13 16:01:36)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to