User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User AndyPandy
(experienced) Fri 20-Sep-13 16:42:06
Print Post

Home/Business - Truly Unliimited

[link to this post]

Apologies, I'm sure this has been asked before, but are the Home and/or business unlimited products truly unlimited, and outside the scope of the traffic management system PlusNet has in place?

Cheers,
AP

ZeN Pro
Draytek Vigor 2710n
My Broadband Speed Test
ISP Representative orbrey
(isp) Fri 20-Sep-13 17:13:56
Print Post

Re: Home/Business - Truly Unliimited

[re: AndyPandy] [link to this post]

Hi there,

Yes they are truly unlimited, and while there is prioritisation on the Unlimited services to ensure things like streaming and gaming aren't interrupted by downloads or peer to peer there are no rate limits applied to anything (if there were, we wouldn't be able to call it Unlimited).

Hope that reassures you.

Regards,

Matthew Taylor
Plusnet Customer Support
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Fri 20-Sep-13 18:41:31
Print Post

The total throughput on your line is totally unlimited, no FUP or anything similar, you can max out your line using any protocol or mix of protocols.

Why would they want to degrade the service by not using intelligent traffic management to prioritise your traffic so that when you are maxing out your line things like VoIP, streaming and gaming are not affected by background tasks like file downloads or P2P?

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001 - not sure for how much longer

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 20-Sep-13 18:44:34
Print Post

This is worth a read smile. It helped to convince me to upgrade to Unlimited when it came out.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 51.8/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User barker04
(regular) Fri 20-Sep-13 18:53:10
Print Post

[re: orbrey] [link to this post]

Matthew,

I was seriously considering signing up to plusnet as i like the idea of the traffic management. However looking at the usage graphs recently plusnet appear to be suffering congestion and regrading traffic accordingly.

Is this due to a lack of capacity and therefore bad planning or just because plusnet charge so little for fibre that you cannot afford to keep up with capacity?

Paul
ISP Representative chrisparr
(isp) Mon 23-Sep-13 10:01:11
Print Post

[re: barker04] [link to this post]

Not sure why you think that? We moved some traffic into a different queue to protect the network just in case iOS7 caused an impact, looking at feedback we've had since then there has been very very few complaints from this.

We are adding a lot of capacity, pretty much on a monthly basis designed to keep us ahead of forecast.

http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1378113996.htm
http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1375270282.htm
http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1372325762.htm
http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1370248553.htm

etc

Chris Parr
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User barker04
(regular) Mon 23-Sep-13 18:14:32
Print Post

[re: chrisparr] [link to this post]

Yes but on this occasion it seems that you didnt predict this properly and should a big event occur then it looks like plusnet simply cannot cope and would solely be reliant on traffic management. But thats obvioulsy the price you pay when your cheaper than everyone else.
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Mon 23-Sep-13 18:21:19
Print Post

barker04 if u don't like plusnet, I suggest to look elsewhere! Why are u complaint about plusnet traffic management?

I had no issues with plusnet traffic management.

plusnetADSL2+16 Meg
Standard User Stevenage_Neil
(member) Mon 23-Sep-13 18:31:38
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by adslmax:
Why are u complaint ...

English please someone.........
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 23-Sep-13 18:56:37
Print Post

Where has any PlusNet customer complained?

You too are believing the myth that traffic prioritisation is bad, and making the huge assumption that other ISPs do not also practice it. PlusNet put out a huge amount of information about their network. Most others, including BT/Sky/TalkTalk almost zilch.

Can you show us any such graphs from any other major ISP, showing the absence of any heavy loading? If not, the criticism is null and void. "We don't traffic manage, slow you down, or ever ever suffer from congestion. Just believe us - sucker!" tongue

Ah, no! They don't say the bit about no congestion.

No doubt like all of us you believe Zen to be a good but pricy ISP? So what about this? :-
Class of Service

Traffic is managed across the network by assigning applications to traffic classes. Zenís IP VPN solution offers six Classes of Service (CoS) with each having its own level of service priority and associated Service Level Agreement (SLA). Applications are
typically allocated as follows:

Class Service Priority and Applications

1 IP telephony
2 Video Conferencing / Media Streaming / Business Critical Applications
3 VoIP call signalling and Business Critical Application, e.g. Citrix
4 Business Critical Application, e.g. SAP
5 Business Critical Application / Bulk Data Transfer
6 Standard traffic, e.g. email / Internet traffic etc
Looks remarkably like PlusNet's classifications to me tongue.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 51.8/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to