User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User 180turbo
(learned) Fri 20-Sep-13 18:50:24
Print Post

What happens during a Fibre install

[link to this post]

As post title states, what does happen during a new fibre install?

Out ADSL2+ contract has just finished so wondering whether to continue with this (download speed 12Mbps) or move to Fibre TTC...

Does another line have to be installed along with the current copper, or in place of?

If another line install then i guess its at the side of the master socket (which is no where near the current router and has no power near it)?

Shame i didn't get an email from Plusnet to say the reduced price contract had expired, just noticed the bill had increased...
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 20-Sep-13 19:00:34
Print Post

Re: What happens during a Fibre install

[re: 180turbo] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 180turbo:
Does another line have to be installed along with the current copper, or in place of?

No, it uses the existing copper line from the cabinet. You will get a new faceplate on your master socket, all the other work is done at the cabinet. If your master socket is in an inconvenient place, make sure you have ordered the data extension kit (or whatever it is called now). A friendly engineer might move the master socket for you.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST

Edited by kasg (Fri 20-Sep-13 19:01:53)

Standard User Damoxuk
(regular) Sat 21-Sep-13 12:44:27
Print Post

[re: 180turbo] [link to this post]

Yes not much at all. I was thinking the same until engineer came and went within 5 minutes haha.

I have a extension socket near my pc here jsut replaced that with a new Fibre socket and bobs your uncle.

I was thinking the actual master socket had to be changed the socket directly connected to the line outside but i guess not.

32 days so far no drops perfect also getting 72mbps rather than the quoted 63mbps so well happy.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User marillionuk
(newbie) Tue 24-Sep-13 15:59:44
Print Post

[re: Damoxuk] [link to this post]

You also get a Modem installed by BT and you need to connect your Fibre router to this (the old ADSL router won't connect).
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 24-Sep-13 16:45:08
Print Post

[re: marillionuk] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by marillionuk:
you need to connect your Fibre router to this (the old ADSL router won't connect).

Well it might, it depends on the router - there's nothing special about a "fibre" router, you just need one with a WAN Ethernet port.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 24-Sep-13 18:36:50
Print Post

[re: marillionuk] [link to this post]

The person you replied to has been connected for 35 days smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 51.8/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User blfamily
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 25-Sep-13 07:01:06
Print Post

My engineer spent an hour on site trying to get the Fibre to work, then disappeared. He was useless; unlike Plusnet CS, who got be up and running in a couple of minutes.

Steve
Plusnet Fibre!
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Wed 25-Sep-13 13:58:36
Print Post

I have a extension socket near my pc here jsut replaced that with a new Fibre socket and bobs your uncle.

I was thinking the actual master socket had to be changed the socket directly connected to the line outside but i guess not.

Then it sounds like your installation has been done incorrectly, unless the engineer did work you have failed to describe. That your speeds have stayed up indicates that they have done it right, or you are so close to the cab, that it makes little difference.

Standard User tehidyman
(regular) Wed 25-Sep-13 16:35:33
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

I have an filtered extension socket wired into the back of a filtered faceplate on the master. The modem was plugged into the extension and the rest as standard. All done in a few minutes by the Kelly man. Everything works and have been getting a steady 37 Mbps down and 9.32 Mbps up for over 4 months. Very satisfied.
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Wed 25-Sep-13 17:04:09
Print Post

[re: tehidyman] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tehidyman:
I have an filtered extension socket wired into the back of a filtered faceplate on the master. The modem was plugged into the extension and the rest as standard.

Is that the A&B terminals on the back of the NTE5 filtered faceplate connected to a dual filtered phone and adsl socket on the extension?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to