User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User binary
(regular) Sun 29-Sep-13 18:59:23
Print Post

Nexflix, Sky Go, NOW TV etc performance on PlusNet (FTTC)

[link to this post]

Hi, I did quickly search this forum but didn't find a thread specifically about this subject.

Just interested in the experience of PlusNet people when it comes to the performance of streaming video services such as Netflix, Sky Go, NOW TV and indeed I suppose the granddaddy of them all, Auntie's iPlayer, when using PlusNet (and in particular with PlusNet FTTC).

I've read the "It's Unlimited! Why is it still traffic managed?" post on the PlusNet blog, which sounds pretty promising - I was just wondering how well this works in practice, and how adept PlusNet are at identifying and categorising the services that are out there.

(The one I've got in mind is NOW TV, though I guess it's neither than new, nor is it exactly non-mainstream - I'd guess that it actually uses the same delivery mechanism as Sky Go.)
Standard User BREWERDAVE
(regular) Mon 30-Sep-13 10:48:23
Print Post

Re: Nexflix, Sky Go, NOW TV etc performance on PlusNet (FTTC

[re: binary] [link to this post]

I'm still on last century ADSL Max with a d/l of ~ 6.7Mb/s but I use BBC Player and Sky Go without any real issues (I've actually got SkyGo running now) - I've got an old laptop permanently connected via VGA to the bedroom TV to watch Sky Sports.
Occasionally the connection will buffer but I'm streaming wirelessly using a 9 year old G router!!!
Standard User atsw
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 30-Sep-13 11:46:25
Print Post

[re: BREWERDAVE] [link to this post]

I have PlusNet Unlimited FTTC, with a download speed of around 72mbps. We watch BBC iPlayer with an HD feed without any problems. Very often iPlayer is streaming to the TV at the same time as others in the house are watching YouTube on mobile devices, No problems on either platform.

Andrew

PlusNet - Unlimited Fibre smile
Live BQM (FTTC)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User gmoorc
(committed) Mon 30-Sep-13 12:05:18
Print Post

I find it works surprisingly well.
Re the traffic management I can give you some feedback on Netflix and Iplayer.

In general I never have a streaming issue but to stress test it just did a quick test on my 22Mbit sync adsl2+ line.

I started 9 simultaneous test file downloads from this site on my PC and then launched Netflix on my PS3.

It took a bit longer to ramp up to Super HD, maybe 30 seconds instead of 5 to 10 but it did so and continued to play with no stuttering.
I then started an HD Iplayer stream on the same PC running the downloads and this again played with no stuttering.

Browsing continued to work as normal through all of that as well.
Standard User goatty2
(member) Mon 30-Sep-13 22:24:41
Print Post

I have a 37m dowload and get a lot of buffering and sometimes just disconnects on sky go but on iplayer works a lot better with hardly any buffering
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 30-Sep-13 22:46:59
Print Post

[re: goatty2] [link to this post]

Have you checked with PlusNet what priority level Sky Go gets?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 51.8/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User majika2007
(member) Tue 01-Oct-13 00:40:28
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Have you checked with PlusNet what priority level Sky Go gets?

Good point..

Also to note as a PN customer you can also upgrade to a higher prioritization on your connection for a monthly fee.

I believe there are 3 tiers including the normal traffic prioritization tier.

I am on a PN FTTC 80/20 but actually achieving something along the lines of about 68.5Mbps/18.7Mbps solid.

I have tested Netflix new HD service and have no problems streaming away in my room, whilst the rest of the house-hold continue do their thing which included watching a separate Hulu stream to upstairs.

I have however, noticed (and have mentioned previously) that my speeds are kind of slow to ramp up to MAX speed whilst grabbing a OVH proof Test file as an example and then doing a stream test. but that's the only fault I can find with my PN service, but thats just nit picking i guess?

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 01-Oct-13 09:58:09
Print Post

[re: goatty2] [link to this post]

Is it on the flip into the adverts? Others have reported this with Sky Go and are NOT using Plusnet

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to