User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User barker04
(regular) Tue 08-Oct-13 17:05:47
Print Post

FTTC Manual Installs - When?

[link to this post]

Has there been any news on when/if plusnet might start doing self install for FTTC?
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 08-Oct-13 17:42:33
Print Post

Re: FTTC Manual Installs - When?

[re: barker04] [link to this post]

BT Openreach have yet to launch the self-install FTTC wholesale product, so no ISP can offer a self-install product at present.

Clearly, self-install is close - the technical specifications for filters and CPE (consumer premises equipment: modem or router) have been published, and various compatibility tests and field trials have taken place. EE has already switched to a router with built in VDSL2 and ADSL2+ dual mode modem on some of its packages, which will be eminently suitable for self-install. BT Retail have announced the Home Hub 5 that is supposed to contain an integrated dual mode modem, but I'm not sure whether it is available yet to their customers. Other ISPs, including PlusNet, have surely got something similar in the pipeline.

Is there a particular reason why you want to wait for self-install? The current engineer install packages attract modest up-front fees, and you can always request the engineer doesn't fix the modem to the wall. Once self-install is launched, it is unlikely there will be any barrier to unplugging your BT Openreach modem and connecting a router with a VDSL2 modem, much as those with engineer install ADSL unplugged their 'frog' and replaced it with a router.

If you are certain the engineer install option is not for you, hopefully there will not be much longer to wait.

Standard User barker04
(regular) Tue 08-Oct-13 17:45:02
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

I have a master socket in my hallway which is not near any power sockets. As the house is a new build (and only has one extension which is of good quality) i am wanting to install the fibre at this extension, rather than have the engineer run cables around the house that will be unsightly!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Tue 08-Oct-13 17:53:39
Print Post

In reply to a post by barker04:
Has there been any news on when/if plusnet might start doing self install for FTTC?

I checked with Plusnet the other day and they have no news about when self installs for FTTC will be possible; nor, incidentally, all-in-one vdsl modem/routers being available. Xilo/uno also say that they don't know until the rollout from BTw is announced.
Standard User barker04
(regular) Tue 08-Oct-13 17:57:45
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

Thats a shame as i cant see any other way to install FTTC the way i need to!
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Tue 08-Oct-13 18:29:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by barker04:
Thats a shame as i cant see any other way to install FTTC the way i need to!

You might be able to use the extension (if CW1308 ?) others have done on this forum http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/plusnet/f/4269419-w... with a high degree of success. Requires a interstitial filtered faceplate on the NTE5, one twisted pair from the interstitial faceplate for vdsl and another twisted pair for filtered voice from the NTE5 bottom plate (refitted to the outside of the interstitial plate) to an unfiltered dual vdsl and phone socket.
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 08-Oct-13 18:30:49
Print Post

If the extension cable is good quality twisted pair, there's several options any good engineer should be happy to try.

One option is to repurpose the extension solely as an unfiltered extension for the fibre modem.

Another option is to use one pair in the extension cable for an unfiltered extension for the fibre modem, and the other pair for a filtered phone extension. Almost all modern phones are happy without the bell wire, which means it would not matter if the extension cable is only two pair.

The third option is to let the engineer install at the master socket and instruct him or her not to fix the modem to the wall. When the engineer has left, either wire up the system yourself using one of the two options I've already mentioned (you will need an IDC tool to connect to the terminal block on the interstitial filter), or remove the interstitial filter and use two good quality plug-in filters to move the modem to the extension.

Standard User barker04
(regular) Tue 08-Oct-13 19:25:00
Print Post

would the engineer use an extension lead for the power if i then said leave it all on the floor lol , think that would be a bit obvious i was going to move it?!
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 08-Oct-13 19:35:13
Print Post

I pointed to an extension lead during my install, and asked the engineer to plug the modem into it. My reason was a bit different to yours, as that extension lead is connected to my main uninterruptible power supply. However, I don't see what's wrong with saying that you wanted to make sure everything worked correctly before sorting out a permanent power feed.

Especially if you get an in-house BT Openreach engineer rather than a contractor, I'd hope they'd look at the cable and attempt to use it in conjunction with the interstitial filter (which is a tidier option than a dangly filter in my opinion). If you do order an engineer install, make sure the ISP puts the Home Wiring Solution on the order - you don't have to take it up, but it's free of charge and it may constrain the engineer's options if it hasn't been specified.

If you move to dangly filters (which is the least preferred option in my opinion), you can always restore the installation to the 'as installed' state so long as you have the interstitial filter and longer screws needed to install it.

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Tue 08-Oct-13 19:56:40
Print Post

If you don't want to plug you modem into the existing NTE5 then just run an unfiltered extension from the A&B terminals to a new line box, and fit the supplied faceplate to that, or alternatively blag or buy an extra interstitial filter and add that to the line box for the extension ? saves all the faffing about
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to