User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User dibdab
(experienced) Wed 09-Oct-13 12:42:07
Print Post

Moving to plusnet fibre and phone from sky

[link to this post]

Hi, a question for the plusnet staff, i am currently with sky for broadband and llu phone, i'm thinking of moving back to plusnet due to skys shocking customer service.

Is it possible to migrate my phone line and fibre broadband over to plusnet without much downtime?

I've had a look at your website and it says fibre is not available in my area, as my cabinet is full at the moment but as i already have a fibre connection this shouldn't come into it, when i phoned up on saturday the sales person didn't really know the answer and seemed to only be able to offer adsl, but this is not an option as it's to slow for my needs.

---------

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results/id/1...

Eclipse/F2S/Zen/IDnet/O2/ Plusnet//Sky Unlimited
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 09-Oct-13 13:03:04
Print Post

Re: Moving to plusnet fibre and phone from sky

[re: dibdab] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dibdab:
as i already have a fibre connection this shouldn't come into it,
However it is done, your phone line will need to be transformed to WLR, which will terminate any BB on it. So it does come into it.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 09-Oct-13 18:51:37
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
However it is done, your phone line will need to be transformed to WLR, which will terminate any BB on it. So it does come into it.
I've seen this stated a few times recently, and it isn't true that a move to WLR necessarily terminates broadband. It's simply a move from MPF to SMPF.

The termination would only be if the LLU supplier ceased the broadband because of losing the phone contract. Although Sky are unwilling to take on new SMPF customers, they have done so in the recent past. Whether they will allow a short-term move to WLR when a customer is migrating their broadband away is the question.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 51.8/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 09-Oct-13 18:52:12)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 09-Oct-13 18:57:31
Print Post

The fact that the FTTC cabinet is full apparently prevents an FTTC order being placed by the normal systems. Manual ordering by an experienced PlusNet support person I believe can handle it.

I think I'm right in saying this applies to many or all ISPs, though I could be mistaken. I've even seen house moves staying on the same full cabinet not easily done.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 51.8/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User DJS
(member) Wed 09-Oct-13 19:44:35
Print Post

Although I moved from Sky to Plusnet with standard LLU BB, there was no down-time at all. The migration went very smoothly.

Standard User barker04
(regular) Wed 09-Oct-13 19:50:37
Print Post

[re: DJS] [link to this post]

And no MAC was needed?
Standard User dibdab
(experienced) Thu 10-Oct-13 15:24:28
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
The fact that the FTTC cabinet is full apparently prevents an FTTC order being placed by the normal systems. Manual ordering by an experienced PlusNet support person I believe can handle it.

I'm still trying to find one who can help.

Looking more and more likely i'll be stuck with sky.

---------

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results/id/1...

Eclipse/F2S/Zen/IDnet/O2/ Plusnet//Sky Unlimited
Standard User ultra
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 10-Oct-13 15:35:37
Print Post

Until someone from PN comes onto this thread, perhaps...

Don't give up all hope, yet!

---

If you run a business, have a second ISP and backup web hosting...
ISP Representative orbrey
(isp) Thu 10-Oct-13 17:18:01
Print Post

Hi there,

Been racking my brain about this but while the migration wouldn't be an issue, I'm not sure how we'd be able to sign up the account which would make things very awkward.

There might be a way round it though, if you could PM me a number I could call you on tomorrow at some point to go through the signup with you? Then we can progress the order manually etc and make sure it all goes ahead for you.

Cheers,

Matt

Regards,

Matthew Taylor
Plusnet Customer Support
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User DJS
(member) Thu 10-Oct-13 17:55:37
Print Post

[re: barker04] [link to this post]

Nope. Plusnet did it all for me (It all took place on the day and time that they said it would). I can't speak highly enough of them. I hope that helps.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to