User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User chris1357
(member) Wed 16-Oct-13 16:31:37
Print Post

Thinking of Moving to PlusNet But Not Sure

[link to this post]

Hi all,

Well I am thinking of moving broadband and line rental provider away from Sky and PlusNet keeps coming up as one of the best options for me as the offer and price seems good. My main concern is how good is PlusNet as I have never used them before and have been reading the reviews online with mix feelings.

The PlusNet line checker says that Fibre up to 37MB and Broadband up to 15MB is available in my area but I am not to sure if Fibre is active in my area as the BT Openreach checker says its coming soon in Oct 2013 so are PlusNet just taking pre orders or is the BT checker behind.

Also i might have an issue with the installation of the kit for fibre as my original master socket was located in part of a room where no power sockets are located so last year i put a short extension in using BT grade cable and another new master socket which has been in use for the last year on Sky with no issues. Would they need me to use the original master socket which has no plugs located near it or would they be able to use the other one.

Chris
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 16-Oct-13 16:37:02
Print Post

Re: Thinking of Moving to PlusNet But Not Sure

[re: chris1357] [link to this post]

If this checker
https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html says you can have FTTC then its available.

The Openreach where and when website sometimes has a bit of lag.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 16-Oct-13 16:52:20
Print Post

In reply to a post by chris1357:
my original master socket was located in part of a room where no power sockets are located so last year i put a short extension in using BT grade cable and another new master socket
You really shouldn't have 2 master sockets.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Wed 16-Oct-13 16:58:28
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Why not ? surely a second master socket can act as a line box , infact apart from the removable face plate it's not really any different to a standard line box maybe bigger but would do the same job, As long as it's wired correctly for the application you wish to use it for,
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Wed 16-Oct-13 17:13:32
Print Post

If you move to Plusnet please check their terms and conditions and prices very carefully, especially before entering an 18 months contract for a fibre and phone package.

Personally I would go for broadband only (i.e. no line rental and calls) - it may seem the more expensive option but it allows much greater flexibility.

Edit. Are you in a Plusnet "low cost area"?

Edited by 4M2 (Wed 16-Oct-13 17:17:53)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 16-Oct-13 17:27:40
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

I think it's to do with the presence of more than 1 ring capacitor, surge arrestor and/or resistor in the circuit.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User chris1357
(member) Wed 16-Oct-13 21:00:17
Print Post

HI

Just checked on the BT wholesale page using my house number and postcode and I can confirm it says WBC FTTC Up to 37.1 Up to 5.9 upload -- Available. It does not work if I put my Sky landline number in.

Not sure what you mean by PlusNet low cost area but its quoting me the following prices below. I will be using it with NowTV which has Iplayer,NetFlix etc.

Unlimited Broadband First 12 Months = Monthly total £17.49 (£24.99 After) for Landline, Weekend Calls, Upto 15mb Download

Unlimited Fibre Broadband First 12 Months = Monthly total £27.49 (£34.49 After) for Landline, Weekend Calls, Upto 37mb Download

With regards to the 2nd master socket I have had no issues for last 12 months with broadband or calls. The wiring diagram I used was from the section called 'Fitting an NTE5 master socket?' http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm

Chris

Edited by chris1357 (Wed 16-Oct-13 21:05:15)

Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 16-Oct-13 21:38:05
Print Post

In reply to a post by chris1357:
Not sure what you mean by PlusNet low cost area but its quoting me the following prices below. I will be using it with NowTV which has Iplayer,NetFlix etc.

Unlimited Broadband First 12 Months = Monthly total £17.49 (£24.99 After) for Landline, Weekend Calls, Upto 15mb Download

Unlimited Fibre Broadband First 12 Months = Monthly total £27.49 (£34.49 After) for Landline, Weekend Calls, Upto 37mb Download

Those are the prices for a low cost area (Ofcom Market 2 and 3). If you were not in a low cost area, i.e on an Ofcom Market 1 exchange, the prices would be higher.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User chris1357
(member) Wed 16-Oct-13 21:41:43
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

So if I was not in a lowcost area they prices would have shown different on the website.

How do you find PlusNet?

Chris
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 17-Oct-13 10:35:28
Print Post

That's right, the prices would change depending on the phone number you entered. I have no complaints about Plusnet, the service has been excellent, reliable and (since I moved to FTTC) fast. I have my phone rental with Plusnet and, as has been said, you will save £2.50 a month and get better offers by doing this. Others have a different view and prefer to keep their phone with BT. For me, the landline is there mainly for the broadband so I don't care too much who I pay the rental to and having one supplier keeps it simple.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to