User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Routefinder
(experienced) Fri 25-Oct-13 13:31:26
Print Post

FTTC modem cable question?

[link to this post]

Hi All

Is the BTOR FTTC modem a "simple" cable like any other such modem one i.e. and RJ11 at ach end and that is 2 wires only connected to the two central pins or is it fully four wired???

TIA smile
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 25-Oct-13 13:54:03
Print Post

Re: FTTC modem cable question?

[re: Routefinder] [link to this post]

It only gets fed from two wires so four would be unnecessary even if present smile. As a standard dangly filter will work instead of an Openreach VDSL2 faceplate, the pins must be the same as for ADSLx.

Whether the cable quality is a higher standard I greatly doubt, but it isn't impossible.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 55.8/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 25-Oct-13 14:03:14
Print Post

The BT Openreach modem, like all DSL equipment other than unusual variants (like G.SHDSL on two pairs) connects to a single pair of wires. Only pins 3 and 4 (the central pair) of the RJ11 connector are used.

The standard RJ11 cable supplied with the Huawei modem is flat. I chose to replace mine with a twisted pair RJ11 cable.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(experienced) Fri 25-Oct-13 14:12:09
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

Thanks both for the feedback that it is such a basic cable.

The reason I asked was I am anticipating the FTTC availability by the end of December (according to BDUK in Surrey) and I already have a UTP cable between the master socket and my Router located approx. 15ft away in the upstairs bedroom used as my office.

So based on the fact that AFAIK such a UTP cable is the "best" for such modem usage I am hoping that the BTOR engineer will use that and place the modem in the office. That is best case scenario.............................I am also looking at replacing that cable with a CAT5e or CAT6 which I could use as the modem cable if the engineer is OK doing so. But if he plays hardball at least the CAT cable will be there ready to be 're-plugged' to link the Ethernet port to the Router in the office.

The hurdle I have is pulling the CAT cable through a hole that is a tad too small a diameter???

Lots to think about to get ready for FTTC smile

Edited by Routefinder (Fri 25-Oct-13 14:13:43)

Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 25-Oct-13 15:04:55
Print Post

Why do you want to place the modem in your office? The best way is arguably to leave the modem at the master socket and use your Category 5e cable as an Ethernet cable to the router in your office. The less cable carrying the VDSL2 signal through your house, the less chance of anything interfering with it.

This assumes that you have power near your master socket to power the modem. I keep on meaning to get hold of a Power over Ethernet splitter capable of providing the correct voltage to the modem to see if I can power the modem remotely. Unfortunately, this is stuck on my lengthy "to do" list behind many other projects.

You may find this lengthy recent thread worth reading. The original poster finished up with the modem at the master socket and an Ethernet cable to his router upstairs. Though this involves a bit of DIY, all the instructions and even links to some suggested products are in my posts in that thread. The original poster posted links to some photographic instructions of how to put it together.

(experienced) Fri 25-Oct-13 16:12:54
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by David_W:
Why do you want to place the modem in your office? The best way is arguably to leave the modem at the master socket and use your Category 5e cable as an Ethernet cable to the router in your office. The less cable carrying the VDSL2 signal through your house, the less chance of anything interfering with it.

This assumes that you have power near your master socket to power the modem. I keep on meaning to get hold of a Power over Ethernet splitter capable of providing the correct voltage to the modem to see if I can power the modem remotely. Unfortunately, this is stuck on my lengthy "to do" list behind many other projects.

You may find this lengthy recent thread worth reading. The original poster finished up with the modem at the master socket and an Ethernet cable to his router upstairs. Though this involves a bit of DIY, all the instructions and even links to some suggested products are in my posts in that thread. The original poster posted links to some photographic instructions of how to put it together.

Hi David

re running an Ethernet cable....................looking more & more like that is what I should be doing, just need to factor in the fact that the holes currently in the ceiling and floor have to be that tad larger. the ceiling one I am sure I can open up with a needle file juts not too sure yet about the hole in the office floor yet???

Thanks for the link, I will have a good read through. Others experiences are always worthwhile smile

Oh, the CAT5e I found with the smallest diameter is here http://www.maplin.co.uk/cat-5e-network-cable-utp-str... I surmise this would be OK ???
Standard User eddie1150
(member) Fri 25-Oct-13 16:20:52
Print Post

Cat5 is small enough to fit through most holes, just put the plugs/boxes on the end yourself!
As for making the holes bigger may i suggest a drill wink lol
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Fri 25-Oct-13 16:29:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by Routefinder:
Oh, the CAT5e I found with the smallest diameter is here http://www.maplin.co.uk/cat-5e-network-cable-utp-str... I surmise this would be OK ???

Solid core may be better than stranded if you don't need flexibility...
(experienced) Fri 25-Oct-13 16:36:41
Print Post

[re: eddie1150] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by eddie1150:
Cat5 is small enough to fit through most holes, just put the plugs/boxes on the end yourself!
As for making the holes bigger may i suggest a drill wink lol

Hi Eddie

Well the hole in the ceiling is about dead on 5mm and the narrow CAT5e I linked to is 5.25mm so that is an interference fit...............not best when pulling cable IMO wink And yes I would crimp my own RJ45's as needed (as noted above ~ I would assuming I can get this done sooner rather than later initially put RJ11 or BT plugs on before FTTC comes to my place) but for now the hole in the floor is very hard to reach what with furniture blocking access.

As for a drill :lol: the holes are full of UTP phone cable that I would need to use to pull the CAT5e though I am thinking the pull should be 2 stage i.e. use the UTP phone cable to pull some high breaking strain nylon core with a monofilament and then use that to pull the CAT5e, just needs to be a well made strong "join" that is small enough to go through the holes.

So files not drill needed wink and for the record the holes are laterally displaced by about 6 to 8 inches so the pull does have two soft radius' to turn!
(experienced) Fri 25-Oct-13 16:38:59
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 4M2:
In reply to a post by Routefinder:

Solid core may be better than stranded if you don't need flexibility...

Thanks for the insight but the holes are not aligned as noted above they are laterally displaced by 6 to 8inches so the pull will need some flexibility to avoid/reduce strain damage to the CAT5e
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to